Am I doing it right?

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Am I doing it right?

Postby lekkkk » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:57 pm

Below is a topo of my land which includes a retention pond, some chicken farms and soybean fields (that we lease out). Before I go any further, I am brand spankin' green when it comes to waterfowl hunting. After much reading I've decided to purchase the following to help me on my new venture:
1. 870 Super Mag 3.5" w/ 3" 1.25oz 4 shot for ducks and BB for goose
2. Columbia waders and other camo
3. GHG dekes (mallards & woodies)
4. 777 decoys (goose) -- has anyone had any luck with these???

I plan on using the floating dekes in the pond while the goose dekes in the fields. I have a blind setup on a grassy knoll for the goose and the pond I'll just be sitting in the tall grass that hangs over my head. I've talked to the local folks and they told me to not worry so much on calling but more on putting your time in so I'm taking this advice until I become more proficient at calling. As far as hunting times go, I know for a fact that ducks wade in the pond early morning before morning breaks but are never there during the day -- why is that? Any advice/criticism is welcomed. Thanks.
:help:

lekkkk
hunter

Re: Am I doing it right?

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:23 am

Sounds like you have a decent setup for a beginner. Especially since you have a spot that has birds on it. 90% of the time, puddler ducks only fly during the first hour and the last hour of daylight unless there is nasty weather, which is what waterfowlers love. Then wind and rain gets ducks flying throughout the day also.

As far as why they are only coming there early in the morning, my guess is they are coming to your pond to feed. That looks like a dairy farm in the picture, and if I was a betting man, I would bet there might be duck weed on the water (looks like algae made out of clover leaves-ducks like to eat this) or the cows graze around the pond and might have grain or corn in their poo. Ducks will eat out of cow patties...yea I know, delicious.

Nobody picks up a call as a waterfowling beginner and is good. You will only get good by practicing and trust me, we all sounded like crap when we first started. Try picking up a instructional dvd on calling, or else there are youtube videos on how to learn to call also.

If you need any other advice feel free to PM me, guys on here are nice and will offer whatever suggestions they can to help out. Good luck!

Buzz
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:48 pm

I think you have a great start. I would use 2 or 3's if you are shooting big ducks mallards. If you are only group hunting the farm and if you have more than 2 ponds or more. I would keep a safe pond. A pond that you do not hunt so that the farm continues to have birds.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby MDducks » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:26 am

I agree. Looks like a great start. What county are you in? how deep is that pond near the shore?

Puddlers are gonna fly early and late in normal conditions but good duck weather can stir them all day sometimes.
MDducks
Newb

Postby lekkkk » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:24 pm

im in worcester county and the pond depth is 1-3.5' .

maybe someone can answer this question about my outing on monday. i was "trying" to hunt goose but there was none in sight. the weather conditions, which was very cloudy and visibility was pretty low, could be the culprit? this is where my lack of real life experience in the field comes into play :lol3:
lekkkk
hunter

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:27 am

Geese can be very lazy. Also, if it is'nt so cold, then they hav'nt burned that much energy staying warm all night. This means they're not in a big rush to get up in the morning. That, plus they're lazy anyway, can mean you won't see geese until 9:00 sometimes. Fog does'nt help. In my expierience, when it's foggy, don't call so much. Just a few clucks to let them know you're there.
Ilovesidebysides
hunter

Postby lekkkk » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:36 pm

instead of making a new post, ill use my thread to update my progress. ive been a bit lazy lately bc im still out in assateague and chincoteague fishing. this was my first mallard and it was more of an opportunistic hunt. i see, i kill. the mallards usually come in the mornings; 4-6 drakes & 1 hen. seen only 1 bufflehead throughout the year.

lekkkk
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:33 pm

Its progress. Keep at it, the duck season isnt much longer
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting