****'s Has no Backbone

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

****'s Has no Backbone

Postby VaTailfeathers » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:37 am

Only in it for the money:
(CNN) -- ****'s Sporting Goods, one of the largest sporting goods retailers in the world, says it has removed all guns from its store nearest to Newtown, Connecticut, and is suspending the sale of certain kinds of semi-automatic rifles from its chains nationwide.
The move was made out of respect for the victims and families of last week's Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting "during this time of national mourning," the store said in a statement Tuesday morning.
"We continue to extend our deepest sympathies to those affected by this terrible tragedy," the statement said.
It was unclear how long the store will keep the suspension in place for the guns, known as 'modern sporting rifles.'
It's also not known whether this is the first time the store has taken such a step after a shooting that made national headlines.
A search of ****'s Sporting Goods website early Tuesday morning showed a blank page for "modern sporting rifles."
The move comes after reports that investigators were trying to determine whether the gunman in the Newtown shooting, Adam Lanza, tried to buy a gun from a ****'s Sporting Goods store in the city of Danbury, about 12 miles away.
"At this time, reports that the suspect visited one of our stores last week have not been confirmed by law enforcement," the sporting goods store said in a statement. "Based on our records, we can confirm that no firearms were sold to the suspect identified in this case."
Tuesday, December 18 2012, 02:01 AM CST
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Re: ****'s Has no Backbone

Postby DMBgoosehunter13 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:41 am

And what will this solve? Absolutely nothing.
DMBgoosehunter13
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:42 am

It won't solve anything but it is certainly a touchy issue. Here is my take from a business major/gun owner/hunter/frequent shopper at ****'s point of view.

You have to remember ****'s isnt just a hunting store, even though that and my fishing stuff is about all I ever go there for. Its for golf, and excercise apparel, and heck, little league equipment for all sorts of sports. In a small town like Newtown, I bet that ****'s that is pulling those particular guns was probably where the kids that died, and survived that tragedy went to get their sports equipment. I live near Frederick and drive 20 miles to the ****'s in Hagerstown to get most of my hunting, fishing, and the little bit of excercise stuff I need. I personally can see and understand why that ****'s is pulling their guns from their shelves. Take a step out of our gun owner shoes, and into the shoes of a parent that just had a child die or even survive in this incident. If their child died but they had another child, a sibling of the dead child, and you wanted to cheer them up after burying your child. You walked into the ****'s 12 miles from home to try to get your kid's mind off this tragedy and think about the future of some spring little league baseball and your kid sees the guns on the shelf in Dicks. Chances are, that kid is going to flash back to Friday. Not good. Im an avid gun owner, and I am in the pry them from my cold dead hands club. This tragedy is another blow to gun owners, no doubt about it. But this is a temporary suspension in recognition of the incident, not a permanent ban of guns to all their stores nationwide. My guess is the result of this is no guns in that store for about 6 months(next fallish before hunting season) and when they do restock, there wont be any ARs. Nationwide...it depends on the reaction to this temporary pull of ARs as to whether they stock ARs or not again. But no way ****'s will pull all guns from their nationwide stores. As a ****'s manager, you have to weigh the publicity of temporarily pulling guns out of respect of the incident and to keep customers coming for the rest of your departments sales VERSUS missing out on some gun sales. There is still ammo, decoys, archery equipment, scents, and everything else that current gun owners would need still for sale at that Dicks though.

You guys have to remember ****'s is a business that sells more than just guns, and keeping the guns in that particular store would most likely effect the rest of their sales during the immediate future. They didnt take away the rest of their nation wide stores' gun and ammo stock, just the one close to the incident out of respect. I applaud them for temporarily doing that for the families. Not only that, but it was a smart business decision to temporarily do this to keep negative publicity out of their store. I know the Walmart by Columbine caught a ton of flack after that incident over them still selling guns and ammo afterwards.

Im sure the victim's families appreciate the gesture, however unneccesary of a gesture it was though. Ill take whatever wrath from you guys you want to throw at me or be called unamerican. Just remember, I took the time to step out of my shoes, and into the shoes of someone from that community. I still love my guns, and I know if ****'s in hagerstown pulls their gun supplies down, that they will still have the cheapest ammo around here, and there are other gun stores around the area to purchase my firearms.
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby MdMallard » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:36 am

First off, this is a very touchy subject. I am an avid outdoorsman of all activities, and gun owner, and I don't have a problem with what their store did. A store can do whatever they want. They don't have to coddle to one particular group in society. Think Chick Fil A who took the conservative side of that issue. I believe in gun rights, but also believe that our forefathers who founded our country had no idea what the future of weapons would be. In their time they had muskets and the government had muskets. Today, the military has satellite guided bombs, f 22's, tanks and submarines. Even if every American had 10 AR-15's we would never be able to defeat our own military if an uprising occured. A few years ago I was a very pro gun rights advocate. I then took a step back and realized there is no need for military grade weapons on the street. A 12 gauge shotgun or hunting rifle that holds 5 bullets is far different from an AR 15 that has a 50 ct magazine.

I realize that most people on here are against my opinion, so I'm not trying to start a war here. It's just my two cents.
MdMallard
hunter

Postby Aunt Bee » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:39 am

The first step of the Gov prohibiting my WW 2 carbine & M1 Garand (semi-autoloaders) that I shoot at my gun club !
Aunt Bee
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:25 am

This has particular topic/thread has nothing to do with government regs and the 2nd amendment. Thats another can of worms. This is about ****'s making a business decision based on an incident near one of its stores. This might bring applause from some, and heckling from others - "Dicks has no backbone". Im sure if someone in Newtown, CT wanted to by their husband a new shotgun for Christmas to do some duck hunting to get their mind off of their child they just buried the week before Christmas, there is probably another gun store nearby. The rest of the country... im sure we can find another store selling AR's if you were dead set on getting one for a Christmas present. Its not the end of the world, and I think its a low blow to say ****'s has no back bone for being sensitive to a situation that has the whole nation's magnifying glass on a little town. Give em a break fellas :no:
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Aunt Bee » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:04 pm

In your mind perhaps, but mdmallard mentioned "gun rights, government, military & military grade weapons " :fingerpt:
Aunt Bee
hunter

Postby agkoh » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:14 pm

Dicks is a big family store. On top of that they believe that dicks does not want to be responsible as a store for selling a gun to a murderer of any caliber, which I completely agree with. I am not disagreeing or agreeing with anything anyone has posted. Just saying that their view is fine with me. They have the right to sell whatever they want. And if they choose to not sell guns, then so be it.
Dove-23
agkoh
hunter

Postby VaTailfeathers » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:52 pm

They can do what they want, its a free country that the Second Amendment insures. I can spend my money at other places.
Boycott ****'s
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby agkoh » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:59 pm

Boycott away! Ive been doing that for months now.
Dove-23
agkoh
hunter

Postby hiker8 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:03 pm

mdmallard,
very well stated, but if you keep making good sense like that the firearms makers will be talking to you. I hope that everyone out there realizes that..... not every person in this country is fit to have a firearm..... think about it and make a mental list of those you know.
and back to the ****'s topic. My guess is that their decision was fear driven, fear of being associated with something that may hurt their bottom line.
can anyone tell me who they would chose to lead the militia that will save us from the "tyrannical gov'ment" ?
hiker8
Newb

Postby ohioboy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:33 am

hiker8-leaders in that situation would just happen naturally. think john connor from the terminator. actually not joking.

i can tell you that if "they" come to my door, they will be on the other end of some buckshot. do i think that a confiscation will happen? no. do i need a 50 round clip for my gun? no. do i want one, or two, or three? yes. do i need a car that goes over 70mph (since the speed limit is 70 at the most, why are cars made to go faster? never got that one)? no. do i have one? yes.

background checks clear out those who will try legal gun transactions, BUT we all know that people will find a weapon if they want one. and remember, in 2011 in the state of maryland there were 398 murders, and 126 used something other than a gun. how do you outlaw fists? 33% of murders nationwide were done with something other than a gun.

newtown hit me pretty hard as i am a teacher. i am also horrified at the fact that students in our schools (i am not allowed to say they are in my school, but you can check police blotters online) have weapons of all types and varieties and i am not allowed to carry anything.

dicks is a business that is operating in a capitalist economy. they are free to sell or not sell. will i be shopping there anymore? no.

ohio
ohioboy
hunter

Postby berettaswinger » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:32 am

There was no ar 15 used to kill one person in that school. It was two handguns that was used. The bushmaster was found in his trunk to clear somethings up. The government just is using this to get what they want. As for dicks i am done buying anything from there. They dont even see black powder in md any more. Its all baby steps to make it closer to a complete gun band. Let them take one thing any then it another thing then......u get the point
berettaswinger
hunter

Postby MdMallard » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:36 am

Berettaswinger,

I'm not sure where you got your incorrect information. Possibly incorrect rumors on Twitter?
http://twitchy.com/2012/12/30/tweeters-falsely-claim-bushmaster-rifle-was-not-used-in-newtown-shooting/

The fact is Lanza used the Bushmaster with 30 round magazines at Newtown.
http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/newtown-sandy-hook-school-shooting/hc-sandyhook-lanza-earplugs-20130106,0,2370630.story
MdMallard
hunter

Postby berettaswinger » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:26 pm

No I don’t use twitter it was on one of the first news reports but the media whats you to believe that assault weapons are killers when its the person not the gun. There were a total of four gun found. http://www.kshb.com/dpp/news/national/g ... cts-mother
berettaswinger
hunter

Postby Skip72 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:33 pm

Initial news reports coming out stated that the bushmaster was found in Lanza's car. When I heard that I wondered why he left it in his car. Apparently that was just one of a long litany of incorrect facts initially put out by the media.

It was not until much later that coroner reported that the victims had been shot with 5.56 rounds.

I can see where this has led to incorrect reports and confusion.
Skip72
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting