Assateague Island OSV closed because of high tide

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Assateague Island OSV closed because of high tide

Postby Yellowdogs » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:49 pm

I just got back from Assateague because the fairy God mother rangers have closed the osv, as the tide is too high. I am really glad they are watching out for me because I probably would have driven down the beach to a very west protected blind site and shot a couple of mature pintails and a black duck this afternoon, without even realizing how much danger I was in. I might have fainted from terror and driven into the ocean, after realizing the tide was higher than normal, if they had not been watching out for me. Living across from the Island, and hunting on it my entire life, I had no idea how much danger I have been in until the last couple of years, when they close the island any day it is fit to hunt ( I wonder if they have a woman in charge). To think of all those days I have been on the Island in bad weather, it makes me weak in the knees. Thanks to them, I am home safe now, listening to other reckless hunters shooting in the marsh behind my house. They are probably not even aware of the supreme high tide threat. Thank you Assateague Rangers for saving me from my reckless self.
Yellowdogs
hunter

Re: Assateague Island OSV closed because of high tide

Postby assateague » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:32 am

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Matter of fact, there IS a woman in charge of the park now! :lol3: I was talking to the rangers back in the beginning of the season, when they were talking about the fact that they weren't going to maintain the blinds any longer. That's when they told me the new park super didn't want to- a woman.

And the two good wardens/rangers are leaving at the end of this season, so the learning curve begins with the new ones. Again.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby ohioboy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:50 am

They ever shut them down for the piping plovers or other shorebirds during the spring? Ran into that down at hatters a few years back. Flounder on every cast and then not being able to even walk in the surf to get at them. Drives me nuts.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Yellowdogs » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:47 am

Piping Plovers - Yes. I believe the spring and summer beach restrictions are probably in place at most Federal beaches.
I would have no problem with the Rangers checking me out when I check in. Check my gun, shells, license and then watch me with binoculars if they have nothing else to do. Make the same check on the return if they are so inclined. What I can't understand is why they feel the need to walk 1/2 a mile through the marsh to make a check. It ruins 45 minutes of my hunt and I find it hard to believe that any hunter, after watching a Federal Law Enforcement Agent walking towards them for 15 minutes, they would have anything out of order when the ranger gets there.
It is the closers that really get me. I pay $150.00+- to drive oversand and hunt on the island. No complaints, but let me access the island. I am a big boy and I can make decisions about my own safety. If I make a mistake, I will have to call a 4 wheel drive tow service and pay $500.00+, plus a park fine if they really want to be cranky. ( My friend had to pay a $175.00 fine for putting trash in the dumpster last year. ) That is the risk I take if I drive down the beach and hunt in inclement weather. The island has cell service, so if need arises one can call if they need help. If the feds want to put up a warning sign great. If the threat is so great that a first responders life might be in danger then close the island but not every time the tide is high or the wind is blowing. Raise the bar.
Last edited by Yellowdogs on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yellowdogs
hunter

Postby assateague » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:59 am

It's gotten absolutely ridiculous the last couple years. Like you said, the wind blows wrong, they practically close the island. And charging extra to be on the beach after midnight chaps myass.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:43 pm

I have no problem with NRP coming and checking me in the field. Shows they arent lazy and hiding in their trucks instead of doing their job. Yes it has costed me many times when they come out in the field and birds start flying. Most of the time around me though, I noticed they try to wait for a break in the action to come check unless they got a call about you doing something wrong. If you see them coming, get your license,ID, and permission slip out, open your bag to show your steel, and unload your gun with 3 shells in hand to check the plug. It makes their job easier, they get out of the field faster, and everyone is happy. Be a jerk and get sassy and I have found that is when they want to walk circle around your blind for a hour looking for any signs of baiting while birds are flying.

As far as closing most of the OSV, they did that for most of last summer when we were trying to shark fish at the end of the beach for the nesting pooping plovers or whatever theyre called. Made for tight quarters with swimmers and normal beach goers. Yellowdog, if you live across from the island, couldnt you theoretically just boat over to the blind and not even worry about driving on the OSV. Im not sure which area on the island youre headed to as I dont hunt around that area.
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting