Waterfowling on the Chesapeake 1819-1936

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Waterfowling on the Chesapeake 1819-1936

Postby AlexC » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:59 am

For anyone that enjoys the rich history of the Chesapeake bay area you will love this book. Just finished it was a gift for christmas and it was just a wonderful read. Just makes you realize the sad state of affair the bay is in. Was fishing the flats not but two weeks ago and counted a total of ten ducks.

Next time I am there I am going to sit back and try real hard to imagine the thousands of ducks that used to call the upper bay home in the winter. Must have been something to witness ducks as far as the eye could see and gentlemen with ties on laying in there sinkbox waiting for the canvasbacks to roll in. Makes me wonder if though a miracle the SAV's were to be restored if the ducks would return to the upper bay? C. John Sullivan desevers kudos!
AlexC
Newb

Re: Waterfowling on the Chesapeake 1819-1936

Postby Finprof » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:38 am

Following up, the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in St. Michaels has an exhibit titled "Gunning Clubs". It goes through the history of waterfowl clubs on the Chesapeake. This is a temporary exhibit. There is also a permanent waterfowling exhibit with an outstanding collection of decoys as well as exhibits on the various waterfowling procedures, including punt guns and volley guns.
It is well worth visiting if you are around the Eastern Shore.
Finprof
hunter

Postby fowllife250 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:51 pm

AlexC wrote:For anyone that enjoys the rich history of the Chesapeake bay area you will love this book. Just finished it was a gift for christmas and it was just a wonderful read. Just makes you realize the sad state of affair the bay is in. Was fishing the flats not but two weeks ago and counted a total of ten ducks.

Next time I am there I am going to sit back and try real hard to imagine the thousands of ducks that used to call the upper bay home in the winter. Must have been something to witness ducks as far as the eye could see and gentlemen with ties on laying in there sinkbox waiting for the canvasbacks to roll in. Makes me wonder if though a miracle the SAV's were to be restored if the ducks would return to the upper bay? C. John Sullivan desevers kudos!

A buddy and I were talking about this today while in the blind. With the poor habitat in the bay and not many SAV left, many birds bypass the bay and keep going south. We find it quite crazy how we know people down in Georgia and Florida killing Redheads, and Can's while up here not many people have not this season or even seen them in good numbers.
fowllife250
hunter

Postby fstzmz996 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:07 am

Hi, I want to enjoy the history of my city.
fstzmz996
Newb

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting