Duck Hunting Forum banner

Fishing Bay

8K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  Cajun1085 
#1 ·
i was wondering how many of you maryland hunters hunt at fishing bay? i have been hunting there and only have a kayak i killed my first ducks there. there is a fair amount of ducks there but only put out mallard decoys.

#3 ·
you should go its not incredible but its very good hunting. it is very dangearus the mud is really thick and unforgiving I have been stuck for long periods of time too. killed my first duck there. it holds every speicy of duck you want pretty much if you want a trophy duck go there its very fun

#6 ·
I was in the area looking for houses, so decided to stop at one of the parking locations. It was really hard to walk and I never found any ponds in the woods I was looking. Is this really a boat only zone for ducks? My idea was find a nice little pond throw out some deeks and hide in the brush, but I fell on my ass a few times just trying to walk through the woods, can't imagine the marsh.

#7 ·
It looks great on the map. I have never been down there. It would be a two hour drive for me soI think I will have to stay at a relatives in Easton or a hotel to get a few days out of it. It will def be on my list of place for next season once I get my big boat.

#8 ·
Walk in hunting is almost next to impossible for waterfowling. You don't need a big boat just something to get you around. There is a few different put in spots, one is basically designated canoe put in or small boat. Back in the day when I/we were younger and in shape, we ran around in a 14ft jon with a 10hp so we could get out and carry the boat and all with us to small pot holes that there was no other way to access. Those days are long past but we always limited out and seen so many more birds than we see now.

#9 ·
all of the hunting I did this season there was walk ins. killed some too. you have to scout a lot. I will have a boat for next season but still the marsh is really bad ive been stuck on more then one occasion. i live near Easton its kinda a far drive to go hunting since my goose and deer spot is only 10 mins away but i love duck hunting so a 45min drive in the morning does not bother me.

#12 ·
I didn't know they could build more offshore blind sites on KI (Unless you OWN the land, there isn't a lottery like Talbot). The leases are also exceptionally long, 99 years long. I do know that occasional these blinds get leased for a season for really high prices. You live in Talbot, might as well just go ahead and try the lottery for a boat site, same ducks.

#14 ·
There is not much public land, that's the only leases. You can boat hunt off KI but only 800 yards on the bay side. They dont raffle like Talbot unfortunately. You can only hunt/build a blind with permission from the owner of the shoreline.

On a side note if you wait the 99 years the hunting from those blinds is nice.

#16 ·
So my new boat will be here in July. I am going to get out to Fish bay to scout over the summer, but I have a question about the color of the marsh grass. Is it bright green during early season and start to die and brown out during Nov-Jan?

#21 ·
Looking on Google for places to stay around Fishing Bay. It seems Cambridge is the closest hotels. I saw a few campgrounds, Quantico MD and Nanticoke MD, but it looks like to big of water for me to cross in the dark with my boat, besides if I camp on that side I would go to Ellis Bay WMA. Does anyone sleep in there truck or boat? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#22 ·
Cajun1085 said:
Looking on Google for places to stay around Fishing Bay. It seems Cambridge is the closest hotels. I saw a few campgrounds, Quantico MD and Nanticoke MD, but it looks like to big of water for me to cross in the dark with my boat, besides if I camp on that side I would go to Ellis Bay WMA. Does anyone sleep in there truck or boat? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I slept in my layout boat one time. Still had a-holes set up next to me.

Cambridge is the way to go. http://www.americasbestvalueinn.com/bestv.cfm?idp=528. 55 bucks a night I think.

#23 ·
Anyone hitting up fishing bay for early goose this year. I am going scout around this weekend for teal, but I will bring my goose stuff just incase I find some. Hate to be 2 1/2 hrs away from the house wishing I would have brought my stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.