My boat Big Enough?

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

My boat Big Enough?

Postby YungDuck » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:55 pm

Hey gents, new here to the forum. Been chiming in on this forum for a while and decided to join.

I live down in southern maryland (st marys to be exact) and I have a 14' Wenzel Fiberglass. I use this boat for fishing, crabbing etc...I run it in the rivers and creeks but not out on open water because of safety. So my question is would anyone here consider putting a blind on this boat for ducking in the rivers and creeks (say Wicomico river, Breton bay, Pax River, Trent hall).

I know this boats limitations and it is a semi v-hull so with two people it can teeter on ya. I only ask because I really do not have the $ to buy another boat for ducking. I would only be hunting with two guys and the gear/decoys. Also wouldn't be going out on days that have anymore than an 8mph wind....so I just wanted to get opinions.

The total boat capacity is listed at 750 lbs for FYI.

Just want to see if I can manage to duck out of this thing as long as I use my head and be smart on what days I go out on.....and if I have to eventually, I will just sell this boat and upgrade to a 17 ft or something.

I appreciate all opinions and advice. Thx.
YungDuck
Newb

Re: My boat Big Enough?

Postby agkoh » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:29 pm

I would be more worried about how much you, your buddy, the engine and gear will weigh. If its close to 750, i wouldnt push it.
agkoh
hunter

Postby The Butcher » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:55 pm

if you pick your days and stay lee it can work. as the previous poster said be aware of your weight.
Terp Nut
The Butcher
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:40 am

it could get you, a dog or buddy and a small bag of decoys from spot to spot but I dont know if I would personally shoot out of it. Definitely have to be picky about which days you could go out with it
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:29 am

I would have to agree with the above. Myself I would use it for the first two hunting seasons and keep it out of the water for the third opener.
skeet
Skeet123
hunter

Postby YungDuck » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:38 pm

I appreciate the thoughts fellas, I'm going to keep it for summer stuff. The winter just gets too dangerous. I guess I will just have to look at some other boats and try to find some deals. Thx again.
YungDuck
Newb

Postby quackhead38 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:59 pm

i used my 1436 flat bottom in the wicomico this year with an outboard, decoys n a homemade blind that i took 2x4s and drilled holes in n put brush in the wholes it was staple enough but i was only hunting by myself the whole time though but it was plenty stable
it get squirrly on the windy days when the good waves comin in but iv been out in it in about 3 foot waves n it did ok
i need three things in a shotgun, boom boom boom - phil robertson
quackhead38
hunter

Postby Lefty26 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:43 am

I say go for it, thats why some genious invented life jackets!!!!!
Lefty26
hunter

Postby SMDGUNNER » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:56 pm

Me and my brother hunt live down here in st Marys too, we have a 16 foot boat. But plan on upgrading to a 18 foot his summer. Your boat should work fine for you as long as your careful about the weather and what days you head out on, but I reckon you know that already. Theirs several plans online to biuld light weight boat blinds online. If you ever needhelp give us a shout. Were out of leonardtown.
SMDGUNNER
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Sun May 05, 2013 9:00 am

Attached are a couple pics showing my current setup. PVC for supports, rope strung along the top and voila, a poor man's boat blind. Not the greatest and a bit of a pain to setup and take down, but real light weight. Two men and a dog + equipment runs close to the ~800# rating on this craft. :fingerhead:

I say go for it but watch the water/wx conditions. :thumbsup:

GD
Attachments
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting