how did you do this season?

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

how did you do this season?

Postby zeeman » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:11 am

this season was OK. we ended up with 149 ducks an 42 geese these are some pics!
Attachments
IMAG0026.jpg
IMAG0150.jpg
IMAG0029.jpg
2014-2015
5 woodys
1rudy
15 gadwall
39mallards
1 wigeon
zeeman
hunter

Re: how did you do this season?

Postby mdfowlman » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:43 pm

It was a rough first and second split but ended up with 78 ducks and 22 geese
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby quackhead38 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:51 pm

i only went out a few times but i got a total of 6 ruddies n one buffie
"we kill things we don't understand"
quackhead38
hunter

Postby Old Guy 1 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:38 pm

Well I'll put it to you this way, if I had to feed my family on ducks we would be going to the the food bank today. We hunted just about every where this season, Deal, Fairmount, Mt Vernon, EA Vaughn, South Point. I never realized that there were so many hair heads around, a fish lovers dream come true. I'm averaging about 350.00 a month in electric bills re-charging my motion decoys, not to mention a new set of tires for my trailer hauling all my stuff around. Oh by the way did I mention the loan I gave to my son for a new mud motor. Just think, I'll be able to lay out more with the snow goose season conservation season coming in, I can hardly wait for the bank to open tomorrow. Well that is how I did this season and I WOULD'T TRADE IT FOR THE WORLD. Buy the way anybody need any hair head jerky.
Old Guy 1
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:11 am

Out west, near Hagerstown, this year was worse than last year. I have lost most interest in hunting and start thinking for April striper fishing. The resident geese seem to prefer staying on impoundment ponds and eating the grass around them. I killed more birds my rookie year when I knew nothing! :lol3:
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Grey Dog » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:25 am

If the measure of the season was in birds killed, this one was miserable. If, on the other hand, I think about the time spent outdoors with good people, new friends and old, or by myself with my dog, then it was a good year. Not great but good. As others have said, I don't do this to eat. I also, don't do this to kill either.
Hope everyone found something to enjoy about this season. :thumbsup:
GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:44 am

Well I am active duty Army orginally from south Louisiana. It is hard to beat the numbers killed down there. I lived in NC for last duck season and in Fayetteville, NC the duck hunting is limited to mostly woodies. I got to say this has been my best season since joining the Army. I really got to hand it to Maryland for having a lot of public land to hunt. Yea its hard work and people complain about it, but I can not kill ducks or enjoy the outdoors from the couch. I expect next year will be better since I will have my bigger boat. I killed 25 birds this year (missed just as many) and loved every minute of it.

Also, I have never lived in a state with so many deer. I shot three with a bow in the first 10 days of the season.
Attachments
Doe2.JPG
last day.JPG
Dec19.JPG
Rebecca Ducks.JPG
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:44 am

Been one of my best duck seasons ever, granted I did a lot of diver hunting this year and traveled a lot more than usual. Geese so far has been awful, by far the worst since I graduated college and moved to MD. But now since I can put the duck dekes away and get after the honkers, hopefully things will pick up
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:40 pm

I had alot of fun. Got 11 ducks this year.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby fowllife250 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:50 pm

It was a great season to get out with new guys in new areas. Went out and hunted lake erie; that was a great experience hunting in Ohio and being able to see Canada side when it was clear. Next year aiming to head north towards maine to get on some good eider hunting. Second season hunting layouts and that is byfar the best hunting you can do from having the birds land right at your feet and you don't have to worry about the tide changing and sitting in muck. Ready for 2013-2014 season. But until then bring on crabbing season ready to start making money.
fowllife250
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:35 pm

Ugh. Not cold enough early enough for my timeline. I stil miss high diver numbers we had a few years back on the upper Potomac. I did hunt deer a lot due to low numbers. I got tired of seeing just a handful of ducks.

Late season goose looks promising though if cold weather keeps hammering areas north of us.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Ezbyrd » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:44 am

Not a great season as far as action but definetly a season with big memories,my oldest boys first full season, first doves and his first duck on the first day of the first split,drake woodie. Those events definetly sparked a stonger interest into the hunting sport and what it takes to try and make it happen. This has only caused one problem,my 11 year old is chomping at the bit to take his hunter safety course so he can take a more active roll in the hunt besides decoy hauler and retriever :smile: Theirs always next year and we"ll be back for more.
Ezbyrd
hunter

Postby Lefty26 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:39 am

Buzz and I hunt together a lot so my season lines up with him, although I did not make the diver trips.

About average for ducks, geese have been miserable. Our goose to duck ratio is usually 4-1, this year I don't think anyone has killed more than 20 geese. We usually average over 100.

But like Grey Dog said it's not always about what you kill but the fun you have with the boys and the time spent away from work and wives!!!!

We definitely had some fun shenanigans this winter.
Lefty26
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:56 pm

Lefty26 wrote:Buzz and I hunt together a lot so my season lines up with him, although I did not make the diver trips.

About average for ducks, geese have been miserable. Our goose to duck ratio is usually 4-1, this year I don't think anyone has killed more than 20 geese. We usually average over 100.

But like Grey Dog said it's not always about what you kill but the fun you have with the boys and the time spent away from work and wives!!!!

Shenanigans? The season still isnt over and you better watch your sauceless pansy back troll. Best to stay away from hunting water cause someone is going swimming over this stromboli issue before long :hammer:
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Lefty26 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:34 pm

Fear the mullet brother.....thats all I'm saying!!!
Lefty26
hunter

Postby Finprof » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:14 am

I wasn't able to get out as much this season as last season. I live in New Jersey but have a second home in St. Michaels on the Eastern Shore and ado all of my hunting there. The first part of the season was not good, but not awful. About mid-January the switch turned on and it was the good old days again.
Finprof
hunter

Postby billydee » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:30 am

PSUbuzz wrote:
Lefty26 wrote:Buzz and I hunt together a lot so my season lines up with him, although I did not make the diver trips.

Shenanigans? The season still isnt over and you better watch your sauceless pansy back troll. Best to stay away from hunting water cause someone is going swimming over this stromboli issue before long :hammer:

No sauce is on the side ......trust me i know food....really i do.
hunter wannabe
billydee
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:52 pm

THERE IS SAUCE IN THE STROMBOLI, AND ON THE F-ING SIDE!!!!!!!! Ive been eating strombolis for years. Trust me, I know my food Billy!!!! Go back to playing with your D of destiny ya poor excuses for italians.
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Lefty26 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:35 pm

As a true blue Italian I can confirm there is not supposed to be sauce inside a stromboli!!!!

You fancy boys from PA like sauce in your face and have tried to corrupt the modern stromboli. Stick to scrapple and cheese steaks.....it's what you do, leave the stromboli alone!!! :mad: :mad:
Lefty26
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:21 am

WHOA WHOA WHOA Sally pants. You are about as Italian as the hagerspatch hillbilly's sausage he is holding behind the wood shed. Stromboli in the mean time needs sauce, and no vegetables. Put your green crap with no sauce in calzones and leave the deliciousness of saucy strombolis with extra sauce on the side alone. :mad:
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:20 am

Public taste test? :beer:
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:58 am

I'll volunteer for a taste test. I'm only second gen GINYWOP. :biggrin:

GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:39 am

well it appears that im going to dip out of work at lunch today so i can go home and "rest" before my night shift on snow starts. Maybe ill "rest" in my layout and "taste test" some of my favorite stromboli in the corn field WITH SAUCE. Hopefully ill get out of work tonight to get on some birds tomorrow also
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:15 pm

PSUbuzz wrote:well it appears that im going to dip out of work at lunch today so i can go home and "rest" before my night shift on snow starts. Maybe ill "rest" in my layout and "taste test" some of my favorite stromboli in the corn field WITH SAUCE. Hopefully ill get out of work tonight to get on some birds tomorrow also

:beer: good luck. Snow on the way.

And I like to dip in sauce. That sounds good right now...
ohioboy
hunter

Postby billydee » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:39 pm

sauce out strombolis italian style
sauce in sandusky style
yeah i went there
hunter wannabe
billydee
hunter

Next

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting