planting rice

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

planting rice

Postby berettaswinger » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:42 am

I have about two acres that I am planting and going to flood. Has any one had any luck planting rice?
berettaswinger
hunter

Re: planting rice

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:02 pm

rice and millet seem to grow well in our region's climate. check your soil condiditions before you plant, but rice is usually pretty simple to grow
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Ruination » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:43 pm

This your first year planting?
Ruination
hunter

Postby berettaswinger » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:17 pm

No we have been planting millet for a year. Last year we planted millet and milo. Were did you get the rice
berettaswinger
hunter

Postby MD Bandhunter » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:42 pm

I am in the same boat as you wondering about plot ideas for waterfowl in my parts mostly geese we have some acres we are going to flood for next year...... We are thinking about flooding corn with a mix of rice! But who knows! :tongue:
2014/2015
Beer- A lot!
"See the duck
Be the duck
SHOOT THE **** DUCK!!!"
MD Bandhunter
hunter

Postby berettaswinger » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:06 pm

Yeah were going to plant rice and corn too. I just want to find a local dealer so that I dont pay more in shiping then seed. Do you know on any in maryland or driving distance?
berettaswinger
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:38 am

My problem with spots ive planted were never attracting geese. That was the problem, getting the geese to leave the dang sprouts alone til they could mature and the duck migration would get here. Ive had deer, turkeys, and geese tear up my food plots in the past and theres nothing you can do about them. I have started planting very late, almost the end of july so that when 90 day maturity plants have matured, the duck migration is starting. It also gives the geese a chance to go into molt so they cant fly to these spots to feed, giving the plants a chance to mature. Usually the deer dont really get biting on the corn and millet til about halfway through their maturity, and by then its almost bow season and I can defend the duck crops!
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting