Should Have Gone Goosin'

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Should Have Gone Goosin'

Postby Grey Dog » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:28 am

Last day and weather is ducky. :smile:
And to top it off I get the day off! :thumbsup:
Should have gone goosing! :fingerhead:
Oh well better luck next time. Opening day of Dove is less than six months away and
there's a lot of fishing to do between now and then. :grooving:

:beer:
GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Re: Should Have Gone Goosin'

Postby ohioboy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:58 am

Still time to go....I would be in the truck if I was you.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:50 pm

I would except that I have now made other plans.....or should I say had other plans made for me?

GD

Come to think of it. You should be enjoying a low snow snow day yourself.
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:01 pm

I am, but mine involves pampers and burp clothes
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:55 am

Yea, snowquester 2013 was a bust. I spent the whole day pushing around slush instead of hunting. We got out Tuesday though for a nice last day for 3 of us. Started the morning by watching about 1000 migrators flying high and north. It came to the point that we didnt sit down in the blinds, just stood there and waved at them if they were too high. Lefty had to run to work, so we picked up and switched field dekes out for floaters. My friend Josh and I put the gear down in our evening spot, went and got wings and went bowling for the afternoon. It was funny that we were all decked out in camo during "senior citizen bowl". Every lane except us looked like they were straight from the retirement home. After a few rounds, we made our way back and set up our last evening hunt on the property we were at. It would be the last time we hunted there after over 10 years of hunting it for us, and his family had hunted it long before that. The city had annexed it, and developement was closing in, owners told us it would be the last season. The pit blind had a ground hog that had made it its home, and this summer the pond will be filled. It was a monumental hunt for him im sure, since it had so many memories, many ducks and geese taken. We managed 6 geese, and were treated with a beautiful duck show after shooting time. While out in my kayak picking up decoys, I had wood ducks, teal, pintail, tons of mallards and blacks, wigeon, and more geese landing within 5 yards of me for half an hour. We left 1 lone goose floater in the middle of the pond as a salute to that spot. Now its on to fishing! Got my lines rigged up last night and battery on the boat charged for Saturday! Tight lines gents, til August my friends! Dont forget to put a wood duck box or mallard tube out this spring!
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby MdMallard » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:38 pm

PSUbuzz,

I have a feeling the same thing will happen to the farm in Carroll County that my family has hunted on since the early 90's. Mt. Airy development is pushing outward every year and the farm two lots down is now a development. We have so many good memories there and it's a shame that it's nearly impossible to buy 50-100+ acres in this area. You have to be a multimillionaire to afford anything in this state. I had a few classes that studied Urbal Sprawl while in college and this state is trying to do it right, but with so much money being thrown at farmers for their land you can't blame them. Also, municipalities and once rural counties want more revenue, so they aren't restricting the developments either. Soon this entire region will be one big suburban area from Annapolis to the west of Frederick full of Starbucks, Targets, congested roads and nearly identical large homes on small lots.
MdMallard
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:59 pm

yep, you know it. I lost one farm 2 years ago to Frederick's annexation. They havent even done any developing on it yet, and there were almost 1000 geese on it for a month this season. Too bad. I have also lost 2 other farms over the past 3 years that were both turned into town or county parks. I dont feel quite as bad about losing them to that. At least the birds still remain in the area and I have other properties nearby that I can still hunt. But yes, the houses and cities are closing in on all of us. When it becomes too much of a hassle to get permission and the cops get called by the neighbors for us hunting, that is when ill give in and move closer to work. The only thing keeping me from moving down towards DC is the cost and the fact that I love my fishing and hunting up here. The hour commute is worth being surrounded by the hustle and bustle of tractors, and the mugging of cows, and.... yea, lets not move the city into my back yard. :no:
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Saw a huuuuuge group today. Going north no doubt, but still love to hear them.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:19 pm

Went fishing at greenbriar for trout on Saturday and saw about 800 birds flying a 200 yards high. Saw 10 or 11 flights. Good to see now idea where they were headed. There was a flight every five minutes for about an hour.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby Boonduck » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:31 pm

I have seen quite a few flights also, maybe they are heading back home.
Boonduck
Newb

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:32 am

been heading north out of Frederick and Washington counties for 2 weeks now. The last 5 days of the season I probably saw 1000 birds each day I hunted pass by our spread sky high
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:14 pm

PSUbuzz wrote:been heading north out of Frederick and Washington counties for 2 weeks now. The last 5 days of the season I probably saw 1000 birds each day I hunted pass by our spread sky high

I have always wondered why why we see so many birds since we are off of the major flyway.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:58 am

I wouldnt say we are off the major flyway as much as you would think. The migratory birds that do come through the RP zone are just wayyyy more concentrated because there are only a few safe roosts that can hold 4 and 5 digits worth of birds. Down in the AP, there are refuges that can hold those birds all over the place. If we had more refuges up here, I think you would see the migration movement move much closer to home. But then again, all of my DU dollars end up in Canada, the prarie pot hole region, or else when the DU board says my $ stays "local" that means its down on the bay. Nobody seems to want to spend money on refuges in the RP zone which, heck...ill start another topic to get that venting out since it is DU banquet season... Tune into other topic post for my griping
PSUbuzz
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting