Duck Quanity

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Duck Quanity

Postby HDH » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:16 pm

Has anyone notice the amount of Scaup that is here now? They are everywhere you look even in farm ponds! I am not complaining on our season but I wish they would show up like they are now around Christmas time..... :huh:
Team HDH
HDH
hunter

Re: Duck Quanity

Postby ohioboy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:28 pm

none in my area-lots of small lakes around here. barely saw one all season here.

saw a few on the potomac, but i was done by the second week of january so i cant speak to this time.

i am glad someone is seeing them.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:11 am

They were in the bay by the thousands if you could find them this year. Fun bird to hunt and they sure do decoy nicely. I think they were definitely around in the Atlantic flyway in good numbers all around this year, way more than in years past. I shot bluebills in MD, NC, and Florida this year. All of my out of state friends that I hunted with said it had been a really good year for them in those states as well. My friends in PA that diver hunt also did well on the scaup. I would attribute it to good breeding numbers. Gotta run to a meeting, but someone should check on the Fed count of breeding numbers last spring on scaup to see if there was a big increase
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby joemc » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:26 pm

yeah there every where down by the benidict bridge on the patuxent.
TEAM FOWL ADDICTION
2013/14 season
deer-3
woodies-1
ruddys-14
canvasback-2
Canada geese-16
turkey-2 big toms
joemc
hunter

Postby agkoh » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:52 pm

In MD Last weekend my dad and I launched our whaler (getting ready for strippers) and we must have seen a few hundred Mallards. Way Higher numbers than what we usually see in that area during hunting season.

In VA in the past couple weeks I have been seeing a ton of ringnecks and other various ducks on Ponds in Central VA where I never saw them this season. Kind of cool seeing them coming back or late heading down (not really sure which).
Dove-23
Woodies-2
Mallards-2
Buffleheads-2
agkoh
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting