newbie in western maryland

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

newbie in western maryland

Postby dsabol » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:02 pm

Hey all,

I am new to Maryland and would really like to try waterfowl hunting (especially geese). Is there anyone that might be interested in giving me some advice or helping me get started? I live in Hagerstown and don't even know if there is any good hunting around here. Any help, guidance or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
dsabol
Newb

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:56 am

I live down sharpsburg pike just below the Ag center. I might not be able to go hunting Saturday, I fell of a horse and bumped my head. Shoot me a Private message and I'll give yo my phone number.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby WESTMDduckbuster » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:29 am

.......words of wisdom.......Hagerstown area right???...scout, scout, scout, and when your tired of that......scout some more......knock on doors.... talk to farmers.....if you are set up where the birds want to be ..........it can look like the TV shows....... if you're not....all the decoys, calls or whatever...won't help.......just pattern them and you will do great.......
....and if catch the waterfowlin' flu.....there is NO cure.....you just have to hunt, more and more.....
........also try ducks......there is something about a wood duck flying at warp speed......
..............let us know how you do!!!!
.....relax ....take the shot....your dog will love you...... even when you miss....
WESTMDduckbuster
Newb

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:23 am

I already meet with darrin. He was buying a house and wants to try it out before laying out too much money and time. I was going to try and get him out a couple of time this winter when he is ready. Maybe you can help to duckbuster?

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SP10Man » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:35 pm

Newbe
I grew up in Hagerstown, gun the potomac now occasionally. Locate the state ramps along the river, check with the local DNR. There are specific locations where you are allowed to cross the federal property, the C&O Canal basin. Be sure only to cross at locations permissible to the feds. Otherwise, launch on the WV side of you can find a location.
Plenty of resident geese on the river. Sit and feed at night, come to the river in the morning and evening. We use a godevil to navigate, too many rocks to rip off a lower unit. Also, watch for areas on the river that are staked by local hunting clubs, mostly near Harpers Ferry WV.
Good Luck
SP10Man
Newb

upcoming hunts

Postby WESTMDduckbuster » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:54 pm

I'm always up for a hunt!!! Just let me know if anf how I can help....SP10 has good advice for the river.
We have found the action on the the river is slow.........till it gets cold.....when all the hidden little ponds and pockets freeze....then it get fun..
My question....have you been seeing any numbers???
we have been scouting the past few days....some black ducks and mallards, a few remaining woodies.......no honey holes as of yet...
and just 5 days out
WESTMDduckbuster
Newb

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:12 am

We got two ponds near me the ducks and geese use and there is about 200 geese in each pond. I have some trouble field hunting some areas as I do not have permission until After gun and Muzzelloader seasons. Those do not freeze unless it's bitter out. There is enough birds in them to keep them from freezing. No permisiion allowed for either pond and they have become dedicade roosts.

My wife just got her knee surgery yesterday for a torn ACL. I hope to get out and drive the river from Snyders all the way to Dam 4 to scout Saterday with my Daughter. I only have a prop with a pitch fork guard right now. I hope to buy a welder and a new tractor for the yard. Then I hope to build a Mudmotor out of the 20 horse motor from the old one to navigate the river better next year. :thumbsup:

Where do you all live? I am down near Sharpsburg.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

How many??

Postby WESTMDduckbuster » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:34 pm

We are from Cumberland...Are you guys having any sucess down there?? This warm weather is driving us nuts. Only 11 geese and 5 ducks in 4 outings. We'll try again on the river tomorrow
.....relax ....take the shot....your dog will love you...... even when you miss....
WESTMDduckbuster
Newb

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:19 pm

I did excellent friday (see other thread) but only 2 geese and 2 ducks between two guys on Sat and nothing hardly even flying this morning.

You need to hunt the river by 70. I saw all kinds of ducks in there in Sept when we bought out horse in Fortsburg. Their all hiding in town. :toofunny:

I am waiting for Darrin to get some time off to take him out again. I took him field hunting for geese but they where not cooperative that day.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting