The new guy

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

The new guy

Postby bohunt » Tue May 28, 2013 7:04 pm

Hey all,
I am new to the sight and will be new to the area. I will be moving to Maryland, specifically the Rockville area later this summer. I have grown up in the Midwest, hunting and fishing MN and ND. I have read the thread started by Cyclocoatie, and was thankful to see all the helpful information. I am pretty excited for the move. I am a big waterfowler as well as a bow hunter. My question for you guys out there is where are the big hunting stores out there? I am looking for a job. I currently work at Gander Mountain in MN in hunting and firearms sales and as an archery tech and would like to land a similar job out there. I'm aware or the ***** sporting goods in the area, out this way they seem to have a pretty lame selection, is that the case out there? Where do you guys buy you gear? Or anyone work at a hunting or fishing store or archery pro shop?

Thanks in advance for any info!
bohunt
hunter

Re: The new guy

Postby Grey Dog » Wed May 29, 2013 4:43 am

:welcome: Welcome and condolences. There is a ****'s in Gaithersburg but I personally don't use them because...well...they're ****'s. The other "common" store in the area is Sports Authority. SA is more slanted toward the soccer kids and the neon-colored jogging suit, let's do lunch, crowd. The only real option would be Bass Pro in Hanover.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... &storeID=2

That's about it for the chain stores. There are of course a few smaller place's like Angler's out on RT 50 in Annapolis. There was a place in downtown Rockville called the Trading Post but I believe it's been gone for a decade or two.

Don't know why you have to come to D.C. but my advise is don't. I'm a native Rockvillain that somehow never left the D.C. area. Currently live less than 20 miles from where I grew up. Combination of family and career. I'll be leaving as soon as I have my years in and can convince the spouse. That's a story for a slow morning in the duck blind.

Again welcome and good luck. :beer:

GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby bohunt » Wed May 29, 2013 1:47 pm

Haha well it wasn't my first choice to move. But the lady is going to be attending uniformed services med school so it looks like I will be hunting in some new territory.
bohunt
hunter

Postby joemc » Wed May 29, 2013 1:48 pm

:welcome:
TEAM FOWL ADDICTION
2013/14 season
deer-3
woodies-1
ruddys-14
canvasback-2
Canada geese-16
turkey-2 big toms
joemc
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Wed May 29, 2013 5:29 pm

wow nodak to Maryland.. that's some hunting adjustment there.
any questions pm me id be glad to help
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Thu May 30, 2013 6:16 am

Buzz likes to post GPS to his spots. :lol3:

Like they said, nothing around here as far as large stores.

Fishing-lots around. the area has lots of lakes that are paddle only, the potomac is sweet and the bay is near if you want to try something new.

Bow hunting-again, lots around. check DNR website for specific areas if you have some flexibility in your future work schedule. Public land is around, just be ready to fight for a spot or walk.

Waterfowl has not been too good the last few years. Public access is somewhat limited. Boat and motor make it a lot easier.

I live near you. PM if you need anything.

ohio
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Fri May 31, 2013 6:32 am

Theres a few mom and pop archery shops and gun shops around. Nothing like you would be used to seeing out there. It is certainly going to be different for you, but PM me if you have any specific questions. Welcome to the area!
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby bohunt » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:32 pm

On that note, is there much of a market for an outdoors store in the area, I am looking at eventually starting my own thing up. Leaning more towards starting with online stuff. But do many people out there hunt and fish? Is there a lack of stores around for the needs of outdoorsmen or lack of outdoorsmen to fuel enough sales for stores?
bohunt
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:56 pm

bohunt wrote:On that note, is there much of a market for an outdoors store in the area, I am looking at eventually starting my own thing up. Leaning more towards starting with online stuff. But do many people out there hunt and fish? Is there a lack of stores around for the needs of outdoorsmen or lack of outdoorsmen to fuel enough sales for stores?

A lot of weekend guys. For them ***** is fine. :yes:
ohioboy
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting