counting the days

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Re: counting the days

Postby Cajun1085 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:57 am

Saw 20-30 young wood ducks today on the river. Ran my boat today and grassed up the blind for it. Going play around Fishing bay next weekend with the wife.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

C.Geese- 60

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:18 pm

Your boat looks great Cajun. I did a little scouting this evening myself.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:27 pm

camped on the upper, upper potomac. saw a few woodies, and about 50 geese. be smart to scout early. the river is way above normal levels up there. almost no loafing bars available.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:39 pm

Skeet123 wrote:Your boat looks great Cajun. I did a little scouting this evening myself.

Skeet did you see me? Dang the water is up??? I wanted to put down at Pennyfield, but the water was too low for me to launch. I was 20 or so geese today, but my question is there any area of the upper heading towards Whites Ferry you can not hunt?
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

C.Geese- 60

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:28 am

saw my first couple bwt show up yesterday by my house. Seeing more and more wood ducks hanging out also and getting their colors back
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby agkoh » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:09 am

Saw a woodie Flying by the ICC Today. I'm Getting Excited!
agkoh
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:02 am

Cajun1085 wrote:
Skeet123 wrote:Your boat looks great Cajun. I did a little scouting this evening myself.

Skeet did you see me? Dang the water is up??? I wanted to put down at Pennyfield, but the water was too low for me to launch. I was 20 or so geese today, but my question is there any area of the upper heading towards Whites Ferry you can not hunt?

All clear
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:59 am

According to the "Maryland Licensed Shoreline and Offshore Blind Sites" map at:

http://maryland.maps.arcgis.com/apps/On ... 58438636c8

There are licensed shoreline/sites at:
Seldon Is.
Harrison Is. and
a section of the river near Rt. 340 bridge.

This would seem to imply that the 250 yd restraining order applies.

Supported by the following taken from
http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Licenses/offshore.asp

"A person hunting waterfowl from a boat that is drifting or being sculled in the nontidal waters of the Potomac River, Conococnary blinds or blind sites or any other person hunting waterfowl offshore. "

"A person hunting from an anchored boat or while standing on the natural bottom in the nontidal waters of the Potomac River must stay at least 250 yards from all licensed offshore stationary blinds or blind sites or any other person hunting waterfowl offshore."

This stuff makes brain hurt! :no:

:beer:
GD

< 17 Days :thumbsup:
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:36 am

Maddox island as well
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:31 pm

Map labels are Seldon and Van Deventer. I believe that Maddox Is. is synonymous w/VD Is.
At any rate the map shows VD as closed to licensing and Seldon, to the North, as licensed shoreline and blind sites.

Looks like VD is open as part of McKee.

The history of the UP waterfowling regs is as twisted as any other area in the state.

GD
< 16 D 16 Hrs :thumbsup:
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby agkoh » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:57 pm

Shhhh! Dont Tell Everyone My Secret spot!!
agkoh
hunter

Postby reimic90 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:00 am

I caught this thread a little late. Hopefully you guys can help me out.

I am new to Maryland hunting and am interested in the Upper Potomac this season (it reminds me of the Susquehanna North of Harrisburg PA where I am used to hunting).

At any rate, I am curious to the regulations pertaining to licensed shorelines and shorelines closed to licensing. Assuming that you follow the distance regulations, can you hunt on a shoreline that is licensed? Does the same apply for the closed for licensing areas.
I'm not the type of person to overcomplicate things, however in this case it seems like Maryland has done it for me. My plan was to just go hunt and use my head like I always do, but once I saw the map with orange all over it, my feet got wet. I appreciate any clarification you guys have to offer.
reimic90
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:59 am

Much more complicated than PA hunting. As far as the upper potomac goes...

-MD owns the river, if you aren't a MD resident, you have to have one with you in the boat to hunt the river. Thats an actual law, not an unsaid rule like the susky. (Ive seen what the local boys up there do to out of state trucks at the ramp for coming around their turf)

-There is no hunting from the MD shore line, thats a Federal no-no. Have to be out in the water. MD side is owned by park service and you arent allowed to hunt from it. VA/WV side is private and to hunt from that side you have to have a VA/WV license and permission from the landowner. Oh yea, and if youre going to be shooting from the WV/VA side at birds on the river, make sure you have a MD resident with you.

-There are various places on the upper potomac that are licensed. In MD, that basically means its Posted in PA terms with a 250yd safety zone from the edge of the licensed area. Many stretches on the river that have islands that are riparian licensed and its less than 250 yds to the shoreline, rendering that stretch of river off limits to hunting. http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/Lic ... parian.asp

-From November 15-I think its May15 you must wear your life jacket on the river at all times on a boat, not just while under way.

-Water gets dangerous in the winter time, but it can be fun

hope all that helps at least with a what not to do approach.
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby reimic90 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:24 am

It does, Thanks for the response.
I look forward to the upcoming season. I assume these registered areas are in some way marked?

Also - I did a lot of scouting by foot last year during the season and noticed a handful hunters at the Seneca launch. Are there a lot of guys that dump in on the VA side (accross and up-river from Seneca)? I am just trying to get an idea of how crowded it gets.
reimic90
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:54 am

Some are, and some are not. You might see blue paint on island rocks and trees, or you might see posted signs on the islands. But without being somewhat familiar with that online map with all the orange markings, you could run into some closed off stretches. I would suggest referencing it, at least for the stretch you intend on hunting so you know of any private islands close by where you plan to hunt
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:24 am

Seems to me that the 250 yd restriction applies to "Licensed Blinds and Blind Sites". Haven't read anything that relates it to Licensed Shoreline. My understanding is that licensed shoreline is a mechanism for landowners to prevent others from licensing blinds and blind sites nearby. Sort of a method for declaring it "Closed to Licensing".

"Closed to Licensing", as shown on the map, means just that. It does not necessarily mean closed to hunting.

Still hurts my brain to read through this stuff.

Hope everyone has an enjoyable and safe season. :thumbsup:

:beer:
GD

~2 D 16 Hrs
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:14 pm

i hate that map.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:24 pm

You and me both.
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby reimic90 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:54 am

Grey Dog,
Your description is how I interpreted it.
reimic90
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:21 am

The orange blocks are licensed shoreline by riparian owners meaning that land or island is private. National park service owns the rest on the MD side and you arent allowed to hunt from the shore that is owned by NPS. So only private land will be marked in orange, but that doesnt mean you cant hunt right next to it as long as you are in the water. The orange blocks may also have an "X" which means that they have it licensed for a blind site, cant hunt within 250 of a licensed blind site. On the upper potomac, one of those spots is Selden island which is above rileys. The landowner of that private island has blocked off that stretch next to the island with blind site licenses. Same thing with Harrison island below edwards ferry.
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:03 am

Good luck for the rest of this week. I get be out there, but I am saving most of my time for later this year. September has always been inconsistent.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby fowllife250 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:37 pm

I'm going out with a few buddy's tomorrow to a spot that holds geese all year. Will let ya guys know, hope to not get bitten by to many skeeters
fowllife250
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:02 pm

saw first corn field picked this morning. that would be GOLDEN if i had permission.
ohioboy
hunter

Re: counting the HOURS

Postby Grey Dog » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:58 pm

Knock on any doors OB?

Good luck tomorrow Guys! Have fun, be safe, post picks! :thumbsup:

I'm still sidelined. Maybe later this month.

GD
13 Hrs
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:23 am

No geese this morning.
Skeet123
hunter