Dogs

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Dogs

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:01 am

Where did you all get your dogs? We are in the market for a new dog and have settled on an American Lab and a bitch. Looking for one fresh 8 week old one. Looking for a fairly good line without going crazy on cost, hopefully but options are open.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Dogs

Postby PSUbuzz » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:04 pm

I have hunting friends that paid 1000s for hunting blood line AKC pups, friends that bought just your standard papered lab, and friend that bought his chocolate from a yard sale. Ive seen them all in action, and if I can say one thing, I would say that its all in the trainer, not in where you get them from. That chocolate from the yard sale had 23 geese over water retrieves on the last day of the season this year. Wherever you choose to find a pup, train well, enjoy the dog, and please, please get the dog out as much as you can!
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby EKavanagh » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:25 pm

Check out this recent litter

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bravehea ... 3083050520

My good friend's dog is the sire. Great hunting dog, multiple MH passes, and ran in the Master National last year.

EK
EKavanagh
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:50 pm

$1k is more than we where looking to spend.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ohioboy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:44 am

PSUbuzz wrote:I have hunting friends that paid 1000s for hunting blood line AKC pups, friends that bought just your standard papered lab, and friend that bought his chocolate from a yard sale. Ive seen them all in action, and if I can say one thing, I would say that its all in the trainer, not in where you get them from. That chocolate from the yard sale had 23 geese over water retrieves on the last day of the season this year. Wherever you choose to find a pup, train well, enjoy the dog, and please, please get the dog out as much as you can!

agree. i trained brits in ohio. decent dogs, but they were amazing after a little work. last one i trained got killed by a skunk-direct spray to the face. ONLY time she ever broke. broke my heart.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:22 pm

Regardless of what the initial outlay of funds might be, it pails in comparison to the lifelong expenses of food, veterinary care, gas, boats, time, and emotional investment in a, hopefully, 10-15 year commitment.

If you're a gambling man, buy from the guy with the weathered "(Your Breed Name Here)Puppies for Sale" billboard in his yard. (Probably save a few hundred dollars.) Every part of the potential savings can be thought of as insurance. Reputable breeder, performance in pedigree, health etc.. Lacking DNA testing you have no idea who the Sire is besides the word of the breeder. "My dogs hunt." is a subjective statement and is again dependent upon the trust you have in the breeder. Health checks of the breeding stock ain't cheap.

Can a decent dog be found at a flea market in West Va.? Perhaps, but I think the odds are against it.

I do not have the greatest dog at the moment. Mostly my fault for not working with him enough. He now occupies the "Main Dog" slot in the household, and will for the next 5-10 years. (5 yo now.) Good or bad, he is what he is. BTW- My house has a limit of two dogs at a time. The Main Dog and the Small Auxiliary Backup Dog. The main dog is a CCR and the SABD is a WFT for now.

These statements are IMO. Whatever you do be sure to have fun and enjoy the ride.

Good luck!

GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:55 pm

To address C&C's OP:
I bought my Weimaraner from a breeder (Now deceased) in Germantown after checking around and becoming involved with the local Weim Club (WCWDA). It turns out that at the time she was one of the top breeders of Weims in the US. She also had a Doctorate in Genetics.
At the time she was focused on the Show/Health aspects of the breed. Many champions, Top Tens, Hall of Famers etc. to her credit. My dogs pedigree was the first one I ever saw that had all AKC Bench Champions (and Two Duals) in it. He was a great dog for me and served me well in the field. He also was healthy and earned his AKC Ch. I had to put him down at just over 12 years. Sometime around 1998 or so she became very interested in improving the field ability of the breed and set about improving that side of things. Result has been multiple Dual Champions and her breedings now own the Top Ten Field Trial list (50%). including 2012 #1 Open All-age Gundog, the NFC and NAFC for the Breed. But of coarse its all in the training.

The Curly I have now is an experiment. He was a show dog that turned out to have a weak left hip. Breeder decided against using him. He also is a Bench Champion. The CCRs are interesting in that they tend to include field and bench titles on most of the dogs and the severe split between Bench and Field has not occurred, to any great extent. He works for me because I am "trying the breed on" to see how he fits our life. The Weim was a good fit except that retrieving ducks in icy rivers was not his forte.

Bottom line is: A breeds popularity brings out the profiteers. It's almost impossible to turn a buck if you take the time and make the effort to improve the breed. Your faith in the breeder is very important. Check the Breed Clubs breeder referrals and ask for references.

And please don't be in a hurry to acquire a puppy. In fact, don't even look at a litter until you've done the research and are satisfied that everything is up to snuff w/this breeding. Pups have a way of melting you heart and then its all over.

Best of luck!

GD
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby lilduckboy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:57 pm

Sly fox farm labs in Centreville- eastern shore
lilduckboy
Newb

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:41 am

Have not been in a hurry. I put the last one in the Avatar down in October and am finally trying to find a new one.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:48 am

I found one, just by chance. Went fishing with two buddies and it came up on a break while camping. A bunch of Black Lab males due to be released August 15 get to pick one on the 30th. It will be old enough to experience birds coming home but too young to hunt this year of course.

Here is another question. At what ages do you start training. Obviously, obedience starts the first month home with house training. Getting used to dummys and playing fetch not really making it work. When do you consider their hips set enough to do working training. Some have stated 6 months and other over 1 year. I had a breeder tell me one the leading cause of hip dysplasia was owners working dogs too hard, too soon.

Can they go afield at 4 to 6 months to just experience and watch the hunt? Basically working on obedience, not breaking and building the fire of what they should learn to love to do? Just laying in the mutt hut and watching the action and getting to see all the birds and stuff. I don't want to push it to hard and would not consider making it do working retrieves until next years season.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Grey Dog » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:44 am

Congrats!!! So now a new count begins.
GD
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:31 am

I miss your avatar.

But I guess time to move on.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:10 am

This one? Now I started missing it too. That was my old dog from the day he learned how to go sub surface after that crippled duck. :smile: I'll never forget that head snapping around and looking at me "What the, .." when the duck dove underwater as he got there. :yes:

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby EKavanagh » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:48 am

Congrats. The advice I got several years ago that I will pass on to you is to purchase and follow a formal training program and, if possible, join a training group/club. You will learn a lot and meet a bunch of great people.

The most popular programs seem to be Evan Graham's Smartwork program http://www.rushcreekpress.com/ and Mike Lardy's Total retriever training. The Fowl Dogs program is also well regarded. A good club that is not too far from you is the Northern Piedmont Retriever Club http://nprc.tripod.com/.

Best of luck!

Ed
EKavanagh
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:00 am

Cupped-n-Committed wrote:This one? Now I started missing it too. That was my old dog from the day he learned how to go sub surface after that crippled duck. :smile: I'll never forget that head snapping around and looking at me "What the, .." when the duck dove underwater as he got there. :yes:

That's it.

I had a Brit that would do that. It always amazed me how soft they mouth but can still grab something that really wants to get away.
ohioboy
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting