Help a Good Ole Missouri Boy out

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Help a Good Ole Missouri Boy out

Postby Normmcclean » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:29 pm

My wife's Uncle has a small farm outside of hagerstown MD its on an oxbow of antietam creek. He does not hunt at all but claims his place is flooded with geese in the fall. My wife wants to go out for a visit in september and I am trying to work a little goose hunting into the trip make the wife and me happy. I see that yall have a resident goose season and a short term out of state license that would work perfect. Just wondering do you guys have licenses over the counter at wal-mart and other stores like we have here in the midwest or do you have to go to special license office. Also any decent hunting around Hagerstown the aerials look promising and he claims his property is loaded with geese but he is not a waterfowler so some peoples idea of huntable geese is much different from hunters who know how to scout and the numbers it takes to hunt. He has a small alfalfa patch and his neighbors have corn and bean rotation and I have access to almost all the farms touching his. Is it worth it to pack up my gun and a couple dozen active shell decoys? Also it looks like the resident season is split any one know where hagerstown falls? Thanks in advance I have no intentions of poaching someone else's spot but as a waterfowler getting the chance to hunt geese in maryland is like having a hunt on flooded timber in stuttgart even if it doesn't pan out its worth a shot. Thanks and best of luck to all this season
Normmcclean
hunter

Re: Help a Good Ole Missouri Boy out

Postby Skeet123 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:15 pm

If you have permission to hunt,I would consider it. Leave everything cased up at the house and check out the spot to see if it makes sense. Out of state lic is expensive so I would check it out before you buy a license.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:36 pm

looks like $54 for a non res 3 day license. even if I just sit down by the water the first few hours of the day while my wife is still sleeping. I just need to figure out what section of the resident season I will need to go out for and plan around that if I can
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:45 pm

Also does anyone know if non-residents can buy ammo over the counter and is ammo hard to come by. should I mail a couple boxes to my wife's uncle in advance to be safe. I really appreciate the help
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:48 pm

Should have no problem. You may pay a little more but if you hunt with a 12 you will not have any problems.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:41 pm

Hagerstown is in the "Resident Population" part of the state. Four week season.

Wal-Mart sells Licenses. Also, the online operation allows you to print it out after purchase.

Your driving in I assume. If so, bring the dekes. :thumbsup: If not I've got a few...wink..wink..nudge..nudge.

Regards
GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:18 am

PM sent
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:57 am

Yeah I think the trips going to happen I think I am just going to use my uncles pump guns rather than hassle with trying to bring my beretta's out with me on the plane. I think I am brining 2 doz. goose shells in a 6 slot bag and my camo netting and I will just rake some alfalfa around me my layout blind does not fold down enough to fly without having to totally break it down. Let me ask you is there decent hunting during the entire season? Here in Missouri our resident population is small and the birds retreat to neigborhoods and golf courses after the first weekend of being shot at. Should I plan for the first week of the september season to even have a chance at a hunt. Thanks a bunch for all the help.
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:08 pm

My experience says if they're using an area where the food is available and they're not being shot at, they'll return. If there is a good pond near by even better. I think it has more to do with weather and when the crops are cut. So far we've had a wet Spring/Summer and it turned really hot this week (90s). September in MD can be miserable hot especially early.

:beer:
GD
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:15 pm

I think we are going to come out for the first part of September my goose hunt might turn into a dove hunt and worst case scenario I am bringing my fly rod and will resort to fishing should my hunting pursuits fall short. It looks like y'all get to take the plugs out for early season plus you get 8 instead of 3. Thanks for the help and good hunting.
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:45 am

We hunt around the creek and geese fly in and sometimes walk in from the creek. You can buy shells, but sometime just the cheap ones, over the counter at Dicks in Hagerstown. I live 5 minutes from where you say and know the area, but not which bend you speak of.

Not sure when you'd be in town, in September but if you were interested my buddy and I could go with you, bring all the decoys, layout blinds ect. I even got a Mossberg 500 you could use. :smile: No sense trying to fly with all that stuff. Most likely if you get a hit on those birds it will only be one morning and then they will layoff that field for two weeks. If interested hit me up

I forgot to mention, Resident season has been a PITA the last two years. (Hoping for a better one this year) Birds were not moving and it was hard to setup for hunts. I have had trouble hunting the creek also. some people have houses and love the geese and will come down and stand on the creek bank after the first volley and cause a safety issue. Hopefully you uncle doesn't have any of these neighbors on the other side of the creek.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Normmcclean » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:06 am

Man you guys from Maryland are much more friendly than the boys here in Missouri. Here you get hammered on in the state page for asking anything. let alone getting an invite. My wifes uncle has farm field for neighbors on his section of the creek. They have 20-30 pet honkers that are there year round so might just be one blast. He also gets some that fly off the big quarry right across the creek. I think her uncle has an 1100 I can use so I might just get some high end 2 3/4" tungsten to make up for the lighter load. On a side note how is the dove hunting? does anyone do any dove hunting around hagerstown. I will be missing my hunting back home to be on vacation with the wife so we make the deal as long as I can catch or shoot something we can go there on vacation. Thanks again for all the help I will have a couple days in town before the season to drive around and scout to see if buying a liscense is even worth it. Best of luck to you all. with all the pulic ground and access there I might have to convince the wife to move. everything in missouri is in a club or leased by a guide so us bluecollar folks hunt the rivers.
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:47 am

Dove can be good. September means geese in the AM, doves in the afternoon, and geese again to finish the day off. :beer:

September is a good time to fish the Bay too!

GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:40 am

Normmcclean wrote:Man you guys from Maryland are much more friendly than the boys here in Missouri. Here you get hammered on in the state page for asking anything. let alone getting an invite. My wifes uncle has farm field for neighbors on his section of the creek. They have 20-30 pet honkers that are there year round so might just be one blast. He also gets some that fly off the big quarry right across the creek. I think her uncle has an 1100 I can use so I might just get some high end 2 3/4" tungsten to make up for the lighter load. On a side note how is the dove hunting? does anyone do any dove hunting around hagerstown. I will be missing my hunting back home to be on vacation with the wife so we make the deal as long as I can catch or shoot something we can go there on vacation. Thanks again for all the help I will have a couple days in town before the season to drive around and scout to see if buying a liscense is even worth it. Best of luck to you all. with all the pulic ground and access there I might have to convince the wife to move. everything in missouri is in a club or leased by a guide so us bluecollar folks hunt the rivers.

Heh, public ground and access. That is funny. Unfortunately, most of MD's laws are very hard to read through for public hunting. Lots of electric motor only access. In order to hunt the potomac river you have to have a MD resident with you if you are from out of state. Its a ridiculous state in all honesty compared to all others that I have hunted. Dont get too excited about hunting the bay either, thats a whole nother cookie in itself with laws lol. I would suggest staying in touch with the guys on here, they are good guys and can be helpful. The laws around here really are wierd for waterfowl hunting unless you have been doing it for a while.
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting