More Confusion From MD DNR

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

More Confusion From MD DNR

Postby Grey Dog » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:48 am

At least it confused me.

When you look through the rules for Geese there is a difference between RP/AP zones and the Early Goose Season regions. For example Howard Co., while in the AP zone, has the longer Western Region Early season. Kind of subtle change from the way I've interpreted things in the past.

Good luck Guys! :beer:
GD

< 42 Days to go! :thumbsup:
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Re: More Confusion From MD DNR

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:48 am

I havent looked at this years regs yet for MD, but for many years howard and Carrol counties have been split for AP/RP zone. RT 97 is the cutoff line normally for the different limits/season. I think thats right
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:04 pm

Buzz,

The point is that the RP/AP zones are not defined the same as the Early Season Western/Eastern regions.

September Season
Eastern Zone:
Calvert, Caroline, Cecil, Dorchester, Harford, Kent, Queen Anne’s, St. Mary’s, Somerset, Talbot, Wicomico & Worcester counties; and that part of Anne Arundel County east of Interstate 895, Interstate 97 and Route 3; and that part of Prince George’s County east of Route 3 and Route 301; and that part of Charles County east of Route 301 to the Virginia line.

Western Zone:
Allegany, Baltimore, Carroll, Frederick, Garrett, Howard, Montgomery & Washington counties; and that part of Anne Arundel County west of Interstate 895, Interstate 97 and Route 3; and that part of Prince George’s County west of Route 3 and Route 301; and that part of Charles County west of Route 301 to the Virginia line.

Late Season
AP/RP Zones: Map attached.

Two examples: HoCo is in the Early Season Western Zone and is in Late Season AP region. Same for Eastern Carroll County.

Of course I may be in error.

Cheers :beer:
GD
Attachments
Goose_Hunt_Zones_Map.jpg
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:21 am

Ah, I see what youre saying. I never noticed that, but then again I have never hunted those counties til late season. I can ask my DNR/NRP contacts about that next time I talk to them
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:38 pm

I just need to know where the dumb ducks are.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:47 pm

...or in this case the stupid geese.

:beer:

I didn't hunt the border areas until recently either.
GD
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby Gandergetter » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:44 pm

The Atlantic Pop regs have not been set so I am not sure that the AP map you are looking at is not from last year? Therefore once the AP regs are set the AP map for this year will come out and coincide with the RP.
Gandergetter
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:33 pm

I'll have to look in the Ghosts of Seasons Past files and see how its gone down.

Perhaps I should have added the caveat that NONE of the waterfowl seasons and limits are set and still require Federal approval.

GD
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:39 am

The more I look the more I notice.

The link to the map is located at the below site. Although it does not indicate a year, the other info posted here applies to the 13/14 season. Another subtlety is that ALL the geese are considered residents during the September seasons. So the one has no direct connection with the other.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/Hun ... /index.asp

Cheers :beer:
GD
Grey Dog
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting