New to Maryland

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

New to Maryland

Postby MDhuntr » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:17 am

Hello everyone and thanks for taking the time to read my post. I’m Danny, I am new to Maryland although I am not new to hunting and fishing. I have spent most of my time hunting in WV and TN where I have lived / have family. I wanted to write this post to ask a few questions and also give some information about opportunities I have found in MD so far. I have joined a few new MD forums and will be posting this among them. I am also a member with archerytalk and a few other local hunting forums.

1) I am a whitetail hunter by heart (bow, rifle, muzzleloader). I am blessed to have family land in WV and good friends in TN where it is relatively simple to hunt. I have found through some research that there are many State owned public lands in MD. Are they worth hunting? I am a hunter, not a killer. I enjoy the time in the woods and tree stand. Only thing I don’t enjoy is overcrowding of people. Are there any that are more crowded / less hunt-able than others?

2) I know MD is a huge waterfowl corridor, but when I start reading regulations, it seems a bit difficult to hunt. Can an average Joe who doesn’t own land or belong to a club hunt waterfowl? Utilize the public lands again?

3) What do you all recommend to fish in MD? I trout fish in TN and have a special love for Native Brook Trout. We have the N. Fork of the South Holston River in TN and it is nothing short of amazing for browns and rainbows. I have seen stocking schedules and such for MD, but again, not really the kind who likes to fight other anglers for a fish. I’ve become pretty interested in Rock Fish and some other Bay fish. Best thing to do to just rent a charter and try it out?

4) I have a few friends in the MD DNR and they have turned me on to National Hunting and Fishing Day. I had never heard of it in TN or WV although their events are rather large. From what I have gathered, it is an all around hunting and fishing show / event? I believe I will take my relatively novice fiancé this year and see what it’s all about. Here is a link to the DNR page for NHFD. http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/hunt_t ... /index.asp
MDhuntr
Newb

Re: New to Maryland

Postby gr8white » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:48 am

Welcome!
gr8white
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:54 pm

Plenty of places to hunt. Where you living?
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:31 am

Welcome!

1. Yes there is decent public land out there. Yes it gets crowded especially on weekends and holidays.

2. I dont own any "huntable land" or belong to any club. Never have and never will and I do not like to pay to hunt. That being said I have a great group of friends that arent afraid to do work for farmers, or knock on doors, or get out and scout. If you can get out and do the work, you can get rewarded with many birds in the bag. The closer to the eastern shore you get, the more guides and leasing areas you will have to deal with though.

3. There is some pretty good trout fishing in MD, not great but its good. The farther west you get in MD the better it gets I think. North branch of the potomac is known for its big trout, but it is difficult to fish. Rockfish, I would say hop on a charter unless you plan on doing it a lot throughout the year. Those bay boats arent cheap. We do some shark, drum, off shore fishing around ocean city, there is an ocean full of variety out there. Potomac river holds some nice bass and catfish. Snake heads which are an invasive species and are on the "required to kill" list by DNR are in the lower potomac. Guys have been bow fishing for them a lot recently as well as standard rod n reel. I hear its good eating. Good luck out there!
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby MDhuntr » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:25 am

Thank you all for the Welcomes and information so far!
MDhuntr
Newb

Postby Skeet123 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:16 pm

welcome.
Skeet123
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting