proposed seasons

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

proposed seasons

Postby mdfowlman » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:26 pm

http://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2013/08/05 ... announced/

so is it just me for years everyone has been complaining that we need to move all of the season back by a few weeks not up by a week. I say we do away with the oct split and add it to the end of the third split.
mdfowlman
hunter

Re: proposed seasons

Postby agkoh » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:56 pm

Wouldn't that eliminate some solid early puddler hunting?
agkoh
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:14 pm

I like the first split but then again maybe because it makes taking time off of work easier.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:59 pm

as far as solid early puddler hunting. its solid because its the first seven days of hunting of the season. it would be just as solid if we started in November. our migratioin besides a few early migrating teal our migration doesn't start until atleast November well recently that's been the trend.
now as far as taking off work I can understand that
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:00 pm

as far as solid early puddler hunting. its solid because its the first seven days of hunting of the season. it would be just as solid if we started in November. our migratioin besides a few early migrating teal our migration doesn't start until atleast November well recently that's been the trend.
now as far as taking off work I can understand that
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby agkoh » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:41 pm

I wouldn't want to lose that first split, because of the chance to hunt woodies. Plus it breaks up deer season nicely. :)
agkoh
hunter

Postby Ruination » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:47 pm

Over all probably, but, correct me if I am wrong, the October split of for woodies.
Ruination
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:12 pm

Mostly wood ducks in the opening split in western Maryland.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:44 am

If you dont hunt september teal by the bay, then you would never( i say never but it would be more like 90%) get a chance to see let alone shoot a teal or wood duck in MD. The blue wings are already starting to migrate through in August and are mostly gone before October. Woodies and gwt move out mostly before the November split as soon as it starts getting cold. That is the reason for the October split. Some guys will agree that they want to do away with October split because they also bow hunt during the rut and they dont like to choose between ducks and dumb deer. Other guys will say don't do away with the October split because that is the only time its not cold out, and they are fair weather duck hunters. They wont go out in the snow, or single digit weather, and they like to clog up public hunting areas on opening day with their new duck commander calls, dozen mallard decoys, and what sounds like a broken kazoo hail calling at birds a mile high. Those are basically the 4 opinions that I have seen to the change or keep the october split. Myself, I say keep it, we usually beat up some woodies and teal during that week and thats the only time we shoot them. I bow hunt also, but if you are hardcore into the rut, I would reccomend shooting ducks in the morning and hunting the rut in the evening. Realistically, just leave the seasons as is and make your choice and what to hunt. It gives deer hunters more room if guys choose to duck hunt. It gives duck hunters more room if guys want to deer hunt.
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:26 am

I have to disagree on most teal any woodies being gone by nov split we smashed woodies and teal til the end of january the last two yrs. It may depend more on where you hunt
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:54 am

im not saying I havent shot a woodie or teal here or there in the late season, but they arent around in good numbers in the late season to the point where I would be targeting them
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Ruination » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:38 pm

What the last two winters have in common is they were very mild. Woodies and Teal will stay until the first real cold day. That wasn't until last days of the season both years.
Ruination
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting