newbie question about Fairmount WMA

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

newbie question about Fairmount WMA

Postby tcf25 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Relatively newbie to waterfowl hunting, 31 years old, recently finished school with my doctorate and now have some time to hunt more often, when husbandly or fatherly duties are not calling.. Live in Harford county but lease deer/turkey land outside Crisfield. Just got a nicer trailer to stay in so have been going down more frequently with the boat. Thinking of moving my boat down there for the winter and duck season (16 ft alumicraft with diy duck blind) Spent some time this summer fishing and crabbing around Janes Island so I am familiar with the water around the island and the hunting regs for the island. I also want to check out Fairmount since the ramp on colburn creek is really close to my hunt camp. Am I reading the regs correctly that the land directly north of the colburn creek ramp is not open, only the land around hazard island and the land north of Rumbly rd (361)? Looking forward to hunting my first teal season down there, even though I did not see 1 teal last weekend when crabbing off Janes. Thanks for the wealth of knowledge on this board and any input you guys may have.
tcf25
Newb

Re: newbie question about Fairmount WMA

Postby PSUbuzz » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:29 am

Its a little goofy in that area, there is state refuge land across the creek from that ramp and a bunch of other areas. There are also blind sites in that area as well. What I would reccomend is giving NRP a call and having the local officers give you a heads up where the no no areas are. Tell them uncle buzzy sent you to stay out of handcuffs
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Re: newbie question about Fairmount WMA

Postby tcf25 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:51 am

Called and spoke to a real knowledgable guy who cleared it up for me. I really do not feel like dealing with lotteries for the impoundments...anyone have luck on teal around Janes or Cedar Island? Would even be worth giving it a try?
tcf25
Newb

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting