looking a guide/outfitter

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

looking a guide/outfitter

Postby AnAverageDuckHunter » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:28 am

Hey All,
Hope your as excited for the season as I am. I am from NC but will be making a trip up to Maryland this year to see some family. ME and the old man figured we would hunt two days. I was wondering what outfitters you would recommend and what time of year you have the most waterfowl. We are hoping to duck hunt the morning and goose hunt the afternoon or vice versa just to be active all day. Thanks so much. Dale
AnAverageDuckHunter
hunter

Re: looking a guide/outfitter

Postby Montauker » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:12 am

I'd say the last split would be best, so December 19th-Jan 25 would offer you the best bet.

Ducks can be tricky as at any point during that time divers may or may not be here and same thing with mallards, and that will vary by outfitter, weather, and migration timing.

I've used Tommy Marvel at Chesapeake Guide Service for about 10 years for a father/sons trip. He has lodging as well, if available. He has a bunch of farms and his guides are excellent.

I've heard awesome things about Quacker Neck as well and this is probably your best bet for mallards in impoundments and canadas later in the morning or day. I believe that his pricing is slightly more

Both are in Chestertown.

Be sure to tell them what you're interested in, but these guys tend to be realists and aren't going to promise combo hunts this far in advance. You may end up with just a goose hunt once you get here if the ducks aren't here.

Easton is another area that has very solid hunting.
Montauker
hunter

Postby Dehunter » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:26 am

Our group also used Tom Marvel, had a great hunt for Canvasbacks and Blue bills. Did well on Cannada's the next day. Good guides.
For sea ducks try Pit Boss if he's not already booked. We are trying Barneck this time,had dates open we wanted. Later in better for Canvasbacks and bluebills.
Targets-tequila- trailers-Ahh the skeet life!
Dehunter
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:51 am

Can't help w/guides but you might consider a "Cast & Blast" trip.
GD
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby Montauker » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:00 am

I will add this. I think you're better off doing two days with one outfitter rather than trying to two days with two outfitters. The only exception would be if you want to hunt seas ducks one day.

Also no Sunday hunting in MD so you need to plan accordingly.
Montauker
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting