mid bead

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

mid bead

Postby Skeet123 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:41 pm

Any thoughts?
Skeet123
hunter

Re: mid bead

Postby Grey Dog » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:23 pm

If I remember correctly it's a "Hail Mary". :biggrin:

GD
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:54 am

My opinion is the only reason you would need a mid bead is if you are shooting a turkey or deer or still target.

If you arent shooting well with just a front bead on birds, and you arent new to shooting a shotgun, then I would think you bought a gun that does not fit you. Everyone asks what shotgun should I buy if im starting out waterfowling? The answer is the one that fits your shoulder and mounts naturally. After shooting a few rounds through a new gun THAT FITS YOU, you shouldnt even need to look at the front bead much less spend time lining up a mid bead also. You should be looking at the bird and letting your peripheral vision guide your barrel to the bird. Most newer waterfowl guns come with shims to adjust the drop on your gun. Try using those if you arent mounting flush to your target before you try putting another bead on. Putting those mid beads on honestly is going to slow down your time between pulling up on a bird and pulling the trigger, and making 2nd and 3rd shots very hard to get on target. Hope that helps some.
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:18 am

I took my mid bead off my waterfowl gun and my sporting clays gun. It was distracting my eyes and caused me to look at the bead. I want 100% focus on the bird/clay so I took them off and never looked back. I am also not a big fan of bright green or red front sights for the same reason. I run a very, very small white front sight.
BKScripto
hunter

mid bead

Postby BKScripto » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:19 am

Also, some people claim a mid bead helps with making sure the gun is mounted but if you're wing shooting that is a no no. Practice your mounts often and then it will become second nature and there will be no need to check your mount.
BKScripto
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:04 pm

Thanks for the replies. I hunted 10 years with a 870 and never had a problem. Last year I got a new 12 auto and at the pattern board it is shooting a bit high. 80/20 I will use the shims and see if that helps. Maybe it is possible that the the stock is a bit long for me. I called the gunsmith and he says there are no no replaceable parts for the 930. So I will be stuck or have to switch back to the 870.

Thanks.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:06 pm

point and shoot. beads are for hippies. :lol3:
ohioboy
hunter

Postby agkoh » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:56 pm

Sometimes I aim upwards, close my eyes, pull the trigger, and hope something drops out of the air. It really works well opening day doves at McKee!
agkoh
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:59 am

If you are consitantly shooting high, definitely use the shims. A good way to test if you are on once you put one in, is hold your gun like you would in your blind at the ready but not shouldered. Look at the corner of the room up at the cieling. Shoulder your gun pointing like the corner of the room is the bird, but do not look at the gun, only at the corner while you mount your gun. Hold it steady and then check your bead. Is it on target, and do you see any rib on your gun. If you are shooting on target, when you pull up you should see none of your rib at all. Only the bead and the target. If you can see the front half of your rib(even just a fraction of it), which I suspect you would right now as your gun stands, then you need to use the shims to drop the front end of your gun down. Like I said, it should be 2nd nature to just keep your eye on the bird, dont even worry about the bead. If you have been shooting a 870 for that long, then you know shotgunning, its just the new gun isnt adjusted to your normal shooting style. Everyone's shooting style is different, and its very hard to change. Much easier to change the drop on your new gun
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby islandgoose » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:04 pm

Pusbuzz you are so right . Great advise .
islandgoose
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:28 am

Added the shim. It looks a lot better...now I do not see any rib at all. Will take it back to the pattern board in the next couple of weeks just to make sure. Thank you for the constructive help psu.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:45 am

Skeet123 wrote:Added the shim. It looks a lot better...now I do not see any rib at all. Will take it back to the pattern board in the next couple of weeks just to make sure. Thank you for the constructive help psu.

There you go building up his ego. :lol3:
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:32 am

my ego peaked on Saturday when I went to dove hunt, yet came away with a contractor bag of pigeons and crows after searching my truck for every last shell I could find. I was on point shooting. Too bad lefty had to leave early before the action got crazy. Barrel was hot and I couldnt keep my gun loaded for more than 60 seconds for about a hour and a half. I was goin ppeeewwwww pew pew pew pewwwwwww :grooving: haha
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:28 am

PSUbuzz wrote:my ego peaked on Saturday when I went to dove hunt, yet came away with a contractor bag of pigeons and crows after searching my truck for every last shell I could find. I was on point shooting. Too bad lefty had to leave early before the action got crazy. Barrel was hot and I couldnt keep my gun loaded for more than 60 seconds for about a hour and a half. I was goin ppeeewwwww pew pew pew pewwwwwww :grooving: haha

Good. Hope I get to kill your geese later when that luck runs out. :lol3:
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:19 am

i dont run out of luck, only ammo. Who knew going into a dove hunt that 2.5 boxes wasnt going to be enough. If I wasnt worried about destroying doves and my bank account, I wouldve started throwing steel at the varmin. But I didnt need to kill a pigeon that bad
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:54 am

PSUbuzz wrote:i dont run out of luck, only ammo. Who knew going into a dove hunt that 2.5 boxes wasnt going to be enough. If I wasnt worried about destroying doves and my bank account, I wouldve started throwing steel at the varmin. But I didnt need to kill a pigeon that bad

You are going to need a new hat soon. :lol3:
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:16 am

Well since i quit smoking last year, my ever growing waist has ruined my ego, so i just try to make up for it in my head. Speaking of fatness and mid sections and ribs, I got a call from one of my NRP buddies that was on his way to a call. Asked if I knew someone that would be hunting a field I was familiar with and described the guy as about 225-250 lb, starting to bald, goatie, late 20s early 30s. I just told him, dude, you just described about every person I hunt with hahaha. We waterfowlers are getting a lil soggie in the mid section
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Lefty26 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:14 am

PSUbuzz wrote:Well since i quit smoking last year, my ever growing waist has ruined my ego, so i just try to make up for it in my head. Speaking of fatness and mid sections and ribs, I got a call from one of my NRP buddies that was on his way to a call. Asked if I knew someone that would be hunting a field I was familiar with and described the guy as about 225-250 lb, starting to bald, goatie, late 20s early 30s. I just told him, dude, you just described about every person I hunt with hahaha. We waterfowlers are getting a lil soggie in the mid section

Speak for yourself bro, I'm still a lean mean kill'n machine!!!
Lefty26
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:40 am

You must be this tall to apply to these statistics. :nana:
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:05 am

PSUbuzz wrote:You must be this tall to apply to these statistics. :nana:

Sounds like a carnival hunting crew.

I paint my face-can I be the clown?
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:04 am

I shall not highjack this thread anymore... on to a new one.
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:47 pm

PSUbuzz wrote:I shall not highjack this thread anymore... on to a new one.

Not like the Maryland forum is blowing up with posts. I need to post some GPS coordinates.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby agkoh » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:20 pm

[que="ohioboy"]
PSUbuzz wrote:I shall not highjack this thread anymore... on to a new one.

Not like the Maryland forum is blowing up with posts. I need to post some GPS coordinates.[/quote]

Yeah! its That Time of The Year!!
agkoh
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting