Late season about to start

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:58 am

I am starting to get worked up for the late season. I got off from the 12th though the end of the year. :getdown:

I only kill one goose so far. I fell off a bareback horse screwing around and got a concusion in September and lost the early resi season and was too busy with my wife and her knee surgey for the middle season.

But Now. Some birds are going to die! 12/7 starts Resi-Goose season and 12/12 start duck.

Who's ready and getting out? I like the late season as most of the season duck hunters do not go out after deer season. It's too cold for them on the river. :toofunny: I feel so sad for them. :mrgreen: NOT!
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mikeguard01 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:29 pm

I know how you feel. I have off also and it's getting colder. Thank's for reminding me that the goose season starts on the 7th. That's when my vacation starts I was going to turn a few calls until duck opened back up you saved me from making a mistake.

Mike01
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:04 am

Where are you from Mike?

Bad news for me. My Daughter started with a cold last night. :eek: She always seems to infect me just before hunting season. They have some of the sickest kids in her class. They never heard of hygene before.

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mikeguard01 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:43 pm

Sorry to hear that your daughter is sick. I know when mine get sick I would be fine until I didn't get a enough sleep then I would get it. I'm in Baltimore county. I might be in your neck of the woods on th 30th some of my hunting buddies are trying to talk me into hunting Green Ridge for the last day of black powder.

Mike01
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:39 am

I am 10 minutes below Hagerstown. I will be off from 12/12 to 1/2

If your ever around just let me know.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mikeguard01 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:56 am

I sure will. I don't get to that area too much but I do pass by there once in a while.

Mike01
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby PAHomesick » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:52 pm

Rob, Mike & anyone else - I'm fairly new to the MD area, actually I've been here about about 5 years, originally from Pittsburgh, PA (Don't hold it against me). I have to agree w/ you, There not much better than getting together w/ a few friends and hunting and relaxing afterwards. I'm trying to get into hunting in MD but have had very little luck getting permission to hunt around the Anne Arundel Co. (Crownsville) area. People just aren't very receptive to hunting like they are in PA. My 9 year old son is really showing an interest in the outdoors and I'd like to be able to hunt with him down here someday. If you can offer any advice on public or private hunting lands on either side of the Bay Bridge and on any hunting clubs to join I'd appreciate it. I use to be an avid archery hunter and really enjoy duck and goose hunting. In PA wood duck, mallards and Canada Geese were the most common. I've gone Sea duck hunting a few times but would rather hunt in marsh, swamps or fields. I appreciate any advice you or anyone else could give.
PAHomesick
Newb

Postby Mikeguard01 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:31 pm

I have been trying to find a place to take my kids for years. Farmers have not been very receptive and I don't blame them. I can understand letting a stranger on your land to hunt. You might offer to help out on the farm during the summer and get rewarded with permission to hunt. I hunt only on public land. Maybe one day I will be able to get permission to goose hunt. Here's a link to the DNR website on the bottom there is listings of public land. Hope this helps.

click here http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/index.asp
Mike01
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:54 am

Move away from the city!!

I had very little permission when I lived down near Balto/Carroll line. Farmers have been on set by city boys not knowing how to hunt and doing stupid stuff. terring up the property and blazing away. Its not to bad to find waterfowl places around here but deer hunting is Extremely hard!! many times spelled LEASE.

Buy a boat for waterfowl and get on the bay. Many times farmer need help. Let them know what your good at. Many times they don't even call you, but always be there for them. Be teir friend and don't assume you have open run once you have permission. Always ask until they tell you to stop asking.

My little 15' is only rated for 575 pounds, so I only take one other guy with me. If you every want to head out west just shout at me. I am off from 12/12 to 1/2 if any one wants to team up and hunt.

later,

Rob

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting