Southern MD Local Access

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Southern MD Local Access

Postby Aquila » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:10 pm

I am interested in getting back into waterfowl hunting after many years.
I live in the Solomons area and would like to know what hunting areas are open to the public.
I looked on the state site and found six areas that have a total of 20 blinds.
Myrtle Point, Greenwell, Kings Landing, Bowen, Allen Fresh and Indian
Creek.
My scouting indicates that of the 20 only one blind at Allen's Fresh has any birds and that is a lot of geese.
Given my choice I would rather hunt puddle ducks.
Can you offer any insight into the area or suggest other resources?
Or do I need to be on the other side of the bay?
Aquila
Newb

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:38 am

I think you need a WMA permit to hunt those blinds, not sure. You might be better served with your own boat and blind and then you can hunt on both sides of the bay.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Access

Postby Aquila » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:22 am

You do need a WMA Permit and to reserve the blind but that’s easy.
All are water access only. Right now I have a canoe. So, about half of the blinds are a serious work out to get to. I have a rig to use the canoe as a blind. I have 5 dozen decoys ranging from 21 teal to 24 Mallards to 7 Canada geese with a few assorted thrown in. This is the rig I used when I lived in Louisiana. So, I am in reasonable shape with gear. It is legal access to an area with birds that is my major obstacle. If I understand the rules correctly. On the public locations I mentioned you have to use the established blinds. You can't just come in a set up. I guess it minimizes conflicts. Along privately owned waterfront you need permission. I believe that if you are 500 yards offshore you can hunt anywhere. Is there some way to reserve a hunk of waterfront? Where can I find out who the land owner is?
Aquila
Newb

Postby Aquila » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:59 pm

I found a site that describes the process to legally set up a blind or blind site. (http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/offshore.html) It goes on for 9 pages and 24 is you print all the needed links. Basically if you haven't done it by mid July it isn't going to happen this year. There is a second wed site (http://atlas.mdmerlin.net/blinds/) that shows, as of June, all of the landowners that have signed up their properties. The people at the phone number listed in the first website are helpful and can tell you where to go in July to see what areas are still aavailable and sign up. Unless someone has more information I guess I'm using the public blinds.
Aquila
Newb

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting