A good day, alone

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

A good day, alone

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:15 am

I could not get anyone to tag along on Friday 12-15 so it was just me and the dog. We set up for ducks and geese and the ducks stayed out at about 40 yards and I was not up for pass shooting at that far and chasing cripples so I let them slide and none would decoy. 9:30 geese tried to drop into the decoys and I defended them as best as possible dropping a triple, and one band. :cool: The dog picked up two and I got one. I was celibrating with the dog and noticed the geese on the far bank were coming closer to take a look. I left Hunter 25 yards from the boat with a goose and they swam into my decoys to look at the killer dog. I flushed and #4 only made it up 4' before making an immediate splash down and had 4 geese by 10AM. Then we got back in the boat and watch geese feed 75 yards and more away for 2, frustrating, hours. Finally at 12 I said "Hunter, that's it! We had a good day let's pack up and go home." I sent Hunter up the bank to go to the pee and the geese came back to check the killer dog and lost one more stupid goose.

The only bad news is hunter developed a thing called “cold tail”. Their tail just hangs limp and they can not raise it or wag the tail. It is from excess strain on the tail muscles probably from the weight of the water added to his tail and wagging when excited. They say he should be fine in a few days, but he looks so sad and Momma has him on the injured reserve list right now and he’s not allowed back out on the boat until Doctor Mom releases him.

"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mikeguard01 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:58 am

Rob,

Sweet I can't get those geese to commit to save my life. Could be the old decoys just don't look real enough or maybe my bad calling. I have had these decoys since the early 80's I think It might be time to upgrade. Looks like the divers are on the downhill slide I'm not seeing as many birds as earlier in the week. Only 2 birds yesterday between 2 of us. Stayed out all day. Need some cold weather to push more down. That's the first time I heard of cold tail. My lab is too old to hunt she will be 13. The dog seems to get an attitude with me when I come home with ducks.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:14 pm

I tried to call you today but you phone was off or out of range
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Erik Olsen » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:44 pm

my dog got cold tail earlier this season its not big deal he will be back in the game in a week or so
"pass me some ammo" Oh crap you shoot three and a half!"
Erik Olsen
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting