Season so far.

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Season so far.

Postby Mikeguard01 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:03 am

How's the season been so so far? I have not been out in the past couple of days got a cold coming on. Figures getting sick while on vacation. Talking to friends it's been hit or miss with some good and bad days.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:40 am

I have shot many geese, one duck and a Merg since friday. I had one excellent day on Friday and been scratching since. Missed two ducks that came right out of the sun and flew by at 20 yards yesterday. I just sat their with a stupid look on my face. Got me. :toofunny:

Not hunting today as I might be getting something. The body is sore and I am tired more than ussual. A rest day and try and find LED light for the trailer as the left light is out, again!
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby choptankcrabber » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:05 pm

Killed a drake canvasback and a bluebill this morning off the Chester River this morning; only saw the one small group of cans, but saw a couple thousand bluebills in the area and several hundred buffleheads, all rafted up. Lots of geese, but no puddle ducks at all.
choptankcrabber
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:00 pm

Rob,

I feel your pain Had a couple of birds come in when I was holding the wrong gun. :laughing:

Good score on that Can Choptank. :thumbsup:

Let's all pray for some cold weather.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:18 am

Let's pray a little rain and not too much. :yes:

To much rain makes the river too high and readjusts all the birds. :thumbsdown:

I got the LED trailer lights on and they are sweet. No more bad bulbs for me when the lights hit the cold water. :thumbsup:
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mikeguard01 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:12 pm

Rob,

Glad to hear you got your LED lights.
Now have have to fix my trailer lights. Had a chaffed wire right where it comes out of the trailer. You think they would have put a grommet in to protect it instead of electrical tape.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby commited » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:45 pm

where we are the geese have realy realy picked up...limeting out at around 8:30 at the latest, every times we go out
"a green head a day, keeps the gamewarden away"

Guns dont kill people, religions do...
commited
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:39 am

Where are WE committed?
There is lots of geese around here but I am not having luck in the fields and I can not get into most with deer hunting going on. Many on the water but they only want to raft in and not decoy in most times.

Mike, electrical tape should be fine unless there is a burr. You can remove the wire and drill to 7/8" I think and put in some 1/2" electrcal bushings made from plastic and at lowes or home depot. The LED lights and give me one less thing to worry about.

Now if I could just get around all the rocks better. :tounge:

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby commited » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:46 am

i hunt Kent island, and easton. we live on the water and have a small water bland, it always pulls through, but are main "goose killer" (a pit) is easton. Early season we got them but, it sometimes took the hole day. this second season it is just fun filled non stop action. i cant realy say the same for the ducks, but the canadas are grrrreat.

http://www.triplethreeranch.com/

I told you before about the whitetail i shot in wyoming and, here he is. If you look though the the outfiters pics you can see he rarely ever see's a shooter whitetale, and the some of the others he has, arnt even form wyoming. I am the third pic down with a son and father on the front page. (im the son) lol. The picture he put up makes him look rather small but he realy was a truly nicer deer. The deer was a main frame 9 with kickers (that could be counted). Im trying to get my scaner working so i can show you the pics that dont dwarf him as much. :yes:
Last edited by commited on Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"a green head a day, keeps the gamewarden away"

Guns dont kill people, religions do...
commited
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:22 pm

Sounds like your having a great season. That deer looks plenty big for the picture. Congratulations.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:08 pm

Yea congrats and enjoy. :thumbsup:

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hdgfootball72 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:21 pm

I hunt in Baltimore county right next to Harford county we have had some luck but nothing like last year. I think the warm weather has keep them further up north. But we have killed a faire amount of birds. I live in Havre de Grace and hunt on the flats but there has not been any ducks really so well see hopefully it gets colder.
hdgfootball72
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:32 pm

I have a buddy I work with that lives just above Conowingo Dam. He told me last week that he has not been seeing much in that area. Got skunked again this morning. Saw a lot of Blue Bills rafted up but nothing moving. Water was totally flat.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:42 am

I don't know about the ducks as we don't have a lot of them up here. Now the geese are eating grass instead of using the fields. So they fly from their roosts to other ponds and areas they can eat grass or other green stuff. I have had no luck hunting fields and I almost gave it up this year. I may try it again and see but it's slack.

Now hunting on the river up here has been better for me than ever. I have my own boat this year and have learned where to go. I might have been able to do this well last year, if I had know as much and had a nice enough boat, but I have do not have enough years experience water hunting to say this year was better on the water. I am just killing them on the water and scratching a big 0 on land hunting.

I do know geese are not hitting the fields in this warm weather. They are staying to the grass like it was summer time and you have to hunt them like it was the early season or hunt loafing areas they may want to loaf in.

just my opinion from what I have seen this year.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hdgfootball72 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:53 pm

What rivers do you hunt in.
hdgfootball72
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:18 am

I hunt the potomac but you should have some water up there to hunt MDWFA was working on reducing the huntign from shore on the bay.

They seem to want to loaf and eat grass and other green stuff when it warm. you have to hunt ponds, lakes or water now or wheat fields.

Stay out of the corn until it gets cold again.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby blwalt17 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:21 pm

So far I've killed 2 geese. nothing special, considering it's my first season and i've been 4 times. and the last two times i've only fired my gun 2 times.
Sean Mann Outdoors
blwalt17
Newb

Postby Mikeguard01 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:54 pm

I just talked to a buddy of mine. He said they have been hammering the geese in winter wheat fields.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby boilerhunt » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:45 pm

How far down the Potomac from DC can you start hunting? I just came to the area but my girlfriend is from Arlington. She took me too Mt Vernon today and the river along the way was packed with geese, especially the mud flats south of Alexandria. I spent most of the time at Mt Vernon down by the river wathin flock after flock cruise by. If you have a boat, can you hunt most of that?
boilerhunt
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:33 am

You have to read the hunting guide on the internet. I know we can hunt out this way and down to Mongomery area. Stay away from areas with houses and parking lots for the canal tow path when its warm. The hikers will call 911 on you.

I have been there!!

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting