Just Arrived to Maryland from Alaska

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Just Arrived to Maryland from Alaska

Postby duckslayertom » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:04 pm

Hello, The military just moved me to Maryland yesterday coming from Alaska. While taking a break from searching for a house I'm looking into the duck hunting regulations. Waterfowl is my passion in life and have always wanted to hunt the Eastern shore and chesapeake. I'm really excited to have a chance at some of the birds you have in this state. Coming from Alaska I am also excited to finally get some birds that were plumed out instead of the eclipse birds we shoot up there.

As you guys can probably guessI have some questions that the regulations aren't answering.

What kind of decoy lines do you guys like to use here? I'm usually just out hunting puddle ducks in shallow ponds so most of my decoys are texas rigged. Am I likely to be hunting a lot of water deeper than 5 foot?

I'm looking into buying an 18 foot excell with a 55 horse mud buddy but was wondering if there are any horsepower restrictions I need to be aware of? I was stationed here for a couple years back in 2002-2005 and remember they won't let you use gas motors on lakes, so I know I can't use it to fish for bass, but just want to make sure it's a boat that I can actually use up here for ducks before I go spend the money on it. If it's not, do you have any style of duck boats you would reccommend?

I'm reading all the regulations on the public lands, and realize I really need to study this in depth. Alaska was just pull up to a pond, throw decoys out and you are hunting, but here I'm reading that you need to apply for a lottery to get blinds, then reserve them to get to hunt public lands. Is it a lot easier to get in on club? I've never looked into duck clubs before, so I'm not too familiar with them. I volunteer with DU up in AK, and my regional director up there was saying the clubs fill up and I may have a problem getting into a club this late. So when is usually the best time to try and join?

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Tom
duckslayertom
Newb

Re: Just Arrived to Maryland from Alaska

Postby ohioboy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:11 pm

duckslayertom wrote:Hello, The military just moved me to Maryland yesterday coming from Alaska. While taking a break from searching for a house I'm looking into the duck hunting regulations. Waterfowl is my passion in life and have always wanted to hunt the Eastern shore and chesapeake. I'm really excited to have a chance at some of the birds you have in this state. Coming from Alaska I am also excited to finally get some birds that were plumed out instead of the eclipse birds we shoot up there.

As you guys can probably guessI have some questions that the regulations aren't answering.

What kind of decoy lines do you guys like to use here? I'm usually just out hunting puddle ducks in shallow ponds so most of my decoys are texas rigged. Am I likely to be hunting a lot of water deeper than 5 foot?

I'm looking into buying an 18 foot excell with a 55 horse mud buddy but was wondering if there are any horsepower restrictions I need to be aware of? I was stationed here for a couple years back in 2002-2005 and remember they won't let you use gas motors on lakes, so I know I can't use it to fish for bass, but just want to make sure it's a boat that I can actually use up here for ducks before I go spend the money on it. If it's not, do you have any style of duck boats you would reccommend?

I'm reading all the regulations on the public lands, and realize I really need to study this in depth. Alaska was just pull up to a pond, throw decoys out and you are hunting, but here I'm reading that you need to apply for a lottery to get blinds, then reserve them to get to hunt public lands. Is it a lot easier to get in on club? I've never looked into duck clubs before, so I'm not too familiar with them. I volunteer with DU up in AK, and my regional director up there was saying the clubs fill up and I may have a problem getting into a club this late. So when is usually the best time to try and join?

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Tom

Where you stationed?
ohioboy
hunter

Postby duckslayertom » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:06 pm

Stationed at Ft. Meade, but looking into living in Pasadena.
duckslayertom
Newb

Postby Gandergetter » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:03 am

There are few spots you will find for good public duck hunting. Most of them will be in the south shore counties, this being for blue bills, cans and other divers. I stopped public hunting here years ago and have joined or ran clubs. If you really want to smash the geese the club is the best way. Even the clubs have tough times on ducks unless released. There are some private clubs with good duck hunting but not many and the good ones will be hard to get into. You also have to watch the big clubs that advertise many locations for usually they put thier favorite or friends in the better spots. Good luck. If you are interested in joing a club I can ask a friend if he has openings. Good clubs cost between $1000 and $1500 to get into per year.
Gandergetter
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:51 am

Electric only on most MD lakes. No HP restrictions on the bay. Be cautious out on the bay, tide can leave you stranded in mud, and the waves can roll you out of nowhere. Blind site lottery occurs on the 2nd tuesday of august for each county on the bay. Anyone can hunt the offshore sea duck zone without a blind site, just make sure you are a minimum of 250 yds from any other boats. There are a few public WMAs around the bay that are first come first serve. Other than that, hunting the bay whether you are in a club or a lease is expensive, 1000 bones plus per season for clubs and usually looking at a couple thousand for leases
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby duckslayertom » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:48 am

Thanks for the advice, it's sounding like I need to save up some money to get in on a club when an opening happens. I'm willing to drive as far as I have to, to get to go duck hunting. I never got to shoot many divers back west, so blue bills, cans, etc are perfectly fine with me. Cans are fairly rare in Oregon and Ak so getting a full color drake has always been something I've wanted to get.
duckslayertom
Newb

Postby Montauker » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:32 pm

Opinions will vary and I love texas rigged decoys in the right place, but you need to be versatile in the public spots as tide, wind, and rain will vary your depths in feet not inches.

I generally run 8oz mushroom or j-hook anchors on my decoys with 8 feet of line. I'm a fan or the decoys with line grabbers to adjust for those wadable spots.
Montauker
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:50 pm

Water levels are jumping up. Good luck to everyone be safe.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby Quackkills89 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:38 pm

I live over in laurel and just got back from guiding in Texas for kent outdoors ( just on drakes migration nation) let me know of you want to go out sometime I know a few areas
Mossy oak pro staff
Toxic call pro staff
Quackkills89
hunter

Postby akdiesel » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:14 pm

What unit were you in while in Ak?

Honkers- 7
BWT- 0.5
Doves- 42
akdiesel
hunter

Postby duckslayertom » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:15 pm

Quackkills89, I am always ready to go out, if you give me a date I'll get time off and be there.

AKdiesel, I was in the 381st over on elmendorf.
duckslayertom
Newb

Postby Quackkills89 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:07 pm

I ended up wit a banded teal and drake woody this morning going to head back out Monday morning
Mossy oak pro staff
Toxic call pro staff
Quackkills89
hunter

Postby akdiesel » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:59 pm

Well any former JBER is welcome to come out with me. Thats if I ever get out again this year.

Honkers- 7
BWT- 0.5
Doves- 42
akdiesel
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting