Newbie to Duckhunting

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Newbie to Duckhunting

Postby BaillieCH » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:52 am

First, I was wondering of anyone knew of someplace I could go to pattern my shotgun in the Baltimore/Washington/Annapolis area. I was introduced to waterfowling about a week ago and I'm hooked.

Second, other than Fort Meade, I wouldn't even begin to guess where I could go hunting in this area. I don't mind driving, but I don't want to be driving 2 hours to find a place to hunt.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
BaillieCH
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:38 pm

OK, did some one intrduce you to it? Can you still go with them? Ducks or geese or anything you can get on?

Look up the blind site thing for next year and that might help you out some.

Ducks you need a boat or a blind site area. Geese can be had in fields but they flew around the ones I had and I start hunting the water more.

I already got a new guy this year. I wish i could help but I am at least an hour west of you. The duck hunting is better to the east and the geese are every where but can be picky which fields they want and corn is not great in this warmth, it seems.

Geese means knockin' for permission and ducks means buying a boat.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mplhunter » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:09 pm

BaillieCH
sent you a PM
mplhunter
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:59 am

I would keep asking around until you can make friends with some closer waterfowlers. I can not help much with that area.

Field hunting is bad right now with this warmth. Geese want to eat grass and loaf in ponds. Knocking might surely help you for next year, so there no time to waste.

Good luck.

rob
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting