A good weekend

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

A good weekend

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:13 am

I had a good weekend minus the run in with the wardens over the hikers, read below.

I got a new guy, Dsabol on here, out here hooked on waterfowl in the attached picture. He had a blast. This was his second time out and he got on the birds this time. :getdown: And set the waterfowl hook DEEP! Congrats to Darrin. It's Darrin on the left and me on the right and my dog in the middle.

We saw one of the best displays of geese coming in and landing into the wind that I have ever seen. My friend said I actually stopped calling and said "That's freaking beautiful!" Another grroup of three birds came in while my dog was in the water and one almost landed on his head. Then they started to follow him with a goose in his mouth not quite sure what ws going on. They got luck as they stayed near the dog and got to fly away and live for another few days.

Also on a another good note. I got out fishing yesterday. I never did walleye fishing yet. Always doing bass and panfish. My buddy had his other friend cancel to go walleye trolling. He called me and I said "I guess I'll try it."

I only caught one, but it was 26.5", 7.3 pounds and I could hardly get both hands around it. I was about doing flips in the boat until I found out anything over 20" had to go back and I forgot to bring my camera. :oops:

The almost 70 degree weather brought out the hikers on the canal. They seriously angered me over this one. We made every attempt to control the height of our shooting. Never shot at a bird over 3' over the water. Let them land most of the time and threw sticks to get them to fly and they hang 2' in the air before the get speed up.

The hikers called the park police on us, said we where shooting at them and they had the shot to prove it. I asked to see the shot but the rangers did not see it either. The only problem is the hikers think they own the river and they wanted us off the river. We got met at the boat ramp by 3 Federal park rangers armed with AR-15's, two maryland rangers and two West Virginia police. Just because we were hunting on the river and even did everything legal and even made every try to be safe all the way around. We even had geese in our decoys for 5 minutes one time as we saw hikers and waited for them to walk away.

I guess the deer hunters got the same thing? The only thing that made me feel better was one of the Maryland wardens told me they had the same thing even happen to them at the same spot.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mikeguard01 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:28 am

Rob,

Great story, glad you guys had some good action. Sorry to hear about the hikers. I hate warm weather incidents. If we had cold weather it probably would have never happened. The first split of the season I had a guy crabbing right next to my decoys.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:59 am

It was one of the memorable hunts. First timers hunt went well. Geese put on a very visual display and almost the best I have seen.

But most memorable was the goose trying to land on my dogs head like he was aiming for it and pulled up at the last moment. Then they followed him in the water and got scared of us.

People alwys ask about geese seeing dogs and being scared off. We have a running joke now calling my dog "hunter" our dog decoy. He attracted two geese that I jumped off the water earlier and swatted after they came across the river to check him out having a pee break. And they Saturday with them landing next to him and almost following him back to the boats.

One thing is for sure geese are not as smart as I thought and curisoity killed the goose at least twice. :laughing:
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby sparky » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:33 am

Great story...........
Would have been cool to see a few pictures of them all waiting for you as you neared the ramp....... LOl..........

Well it takes all kinds to run the world..........

sparky
sparky
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting