Moving to MD

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Moving to MD

Postby boilerhunt » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:42 pm

Hows it going gentlemen? I just graduated college and am now in the process of moving out the Annapolis area for a job. I've lived in Indiana for my entire life and though I've hunted a lot, its been kept mostly to state marshes and occasional private property in the midwest. Hunting on the Chesapeake is one of legendary things I've heard about for years but never known much about. I guess I've got a couple questions that I was hoping to get answers to.
-As far as hunting the bay, how much of it is open to hunting(assuming you can access it) as compared to strictly refuge or closed to shotting altogether?
-I've seen that the eastern shore has a number of state marshes. Are those hunted first come first serve or do you draw for spots like we do in the midwest?
-Is a boat needed in most places or are some places along the shore in in island marshes all walkable?

I know how hunting locations go for most guys and I definitely dont want to step on any toes, but any information you guys can offer would be appreciated. Theres a lot more Id like to learn and those are just a few of my inital questions. Thanks
boilerhunt
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:57 am

Welcome, I can help you with Annapolis exept that your not going to be able to afford to buy a house any where near there. Housing is price are a kin to rape of your wallet down there.

Welcome to the Tax me state.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mplhunter » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:01 pm

boilerhunt
Sent you a PM
mplhunter
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:16 am

look up the blind lottery and think about buying a boat for ducks. Then start looking for permissions to hunt geese on fields.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby commited » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:30 pm

welcome :welcome: ...yeah i hunt the kent island reigen, right across the bay bridge, and i also hunt a pit in easten. Most deffiently the east coast is prime honker territory. Hunted alot of places in the fourteen years i have been alive, and it always seems im coming back for more of what is right where i live. Depending on what and were, and how far you are planing on going. We do have alot of marshes, but many feilds and clubs to get into aswell. My opinion, i think you should buy a portable blind (avery etc..) and enter a club :thumbsup: hope i could help

Johnny
"a green head a day, keeps the gamewarden away"

Guns dont kill people, religions do...
commited
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting