Shore Hunting Spots

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Shore Hunting Spots

Postby uscg4good » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:49 pm

Hey everyone. Am new to waterfowling and new to MD. Does anyone here have experience hunting WMAs on the shore? The only place I really checked out has been Assateague, and it seems like a good idea but the ranger says they only killed a couple ducks this year. No thanks to global warming. I have a boat. Anyone hunted Deal Island or Pocomoke Sound?
uscg4good
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:33 pm

I have a couple of buddies that hunt Deal. They always do well. You might try taking a Sunday drive and check out a few WMA's. If you have a big enough boat you also could hunt in the Offshore Waterfowl hunting zone in the Bay. Here's a link to the regs.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/grzone.html

Good Luck
Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby uscg4good » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:00 pm

Ok great, thanks a lot. I don't think my 12 footer will do good for the offshore spots, but I do have access to a boat that will. Just have to camo it a bit. Thanks for the link.
uscg4good
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:48 pm

Good luck glad I could be of some help. Keep us posted on how well you do.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby mplhunter » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:33 pm

Going to Deal Island on 1/19/07 and 1/20/07 I will let you know how we did. I hunt there all the time and we do ok. Some days we shoot all day and some days we see one or twobirds that come in range. I have a lot of luck at Deal Island. So if you ever go there and have a bad day do not give up on the place. I like to say it is hit or miss.
mplhunter
hunter

Postby uscg4good » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:49 pm

Do you have to have a permit to hunt Deal Island? If so, how do you apply? I'm hoping to get a couple good days in before the season ends. Still waiting on the new gun to get here from Gander Mtn.
uscg4good
hunter

Postby mplhunter » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:00 am

uscg4good wrote:Do you have to have a permit to hunt Deal Island? If so, how do you apply? I'm hoping to get a couple good days in before the season ends. Still waiting on the new gun to get here from Gander Mtn.

Go to this web page http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/eastern/dealisland.asp

Some days and places you need a permit and others you do not.
mplhunter
hunter

Postby mplhunter » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:16 pm

Went to Deal Island on 1/19/07 and saw teal all over the place flocks of 20 or more every 10min. Saw black ducks too. On 1/20/07 we saw teal every were we looked and black ducks. It was cold as SH*T and windy too. All of the ducks were just flying were the wind took them. Lots of the shots we took were 20 plus yards out. I think that was just because of the wind not decoying to good today. We got some ducks and had fun shooting the guns. I would say if anyone plans on going down there I would take teal and black duck decoys. O we also saw some blue bills and buffleheads. One more thing we hunted the marsh not the impoundment did not see too many ducks over there on 1/19/07.
mplhunter
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting