Waterfowl Leases in Maryland

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Waterfowl Leases in Maryland

Postby Libby » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:38 am

Hello guys,
I have been living in MD for about 5 years and have hunted a lot of the WMA, with little sucess. I think it's time to get on a lease or become part of a club. I'm having trouble finding information on leases or clubs. Can someone point me me in the right direction?

Thanks
Libby
Newb

Postby choptankcrabber » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:54 am

At least on the Eastern Shore, a lot of private land is tied up in leases, especially when it comes to waterfowl. You might find a farmer who will let you shoot snow geese off his field, but even that is getting harder to come by.

I don't know of any central source for leases, but I see people advertise in the paper once in a while that they are looking. I'm not sure what kind of response you'll get, or the quality. (Unfortunately, when you do see a place that has "opened up", you have to wonder why. I talked to a guy once that was leasing a goose field where "the guys from last year got their limit every day." Only I happened to know "the guys from last year", and they didn't shoot squat!)

Best way is to make friends, get invited somewhere, show up with donuts or coffee, and just mention that you would be interested if they ever have an opening. Repeat as often as possible, then wait.
choptankcrabber
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting