Hoping to honor a great friend on Saturday

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Hoping to honor a great friend on Saturday

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:17 pm

For those that were on DHC for a while, our friend Coldweatherfan recently passed away in October. He hadnt been very active on DHC over the past 2 seasons but some of you on here had the pleasure of hunting with John, or at least arguing over a decoy setup with him once or twice. John was an older guy that I came to know through a classmate in highschool 10 years ago now. He was my friend's step dad, that had 1 passion, and it was waterfowl hunting. Although my dad loves to hunt(mostly deer and small game), John was that old guy in my life that had a "father son" relationship with me when it came to hitting the river or drinking a dark and stormy, or a cold beer on Friday night.

I got his boat from him back in August when I think he knew his end was near. We signed the paperwork and he was happy to know that he no longer had the problems of boat ownership, but he knew his boat would be in good hands with someone that would be sure to take all his old hunting partners out. I promised John that it will always be his boat, and any time he wanted to use it, he knew where it was and he could take er out, I was only holding onto it for him. Sadly, I wont be getting that call from him to hit the river this year.

Now that the sadness of losing John has passed, its been time to celebrate his life and get his boat back out to the place he loved. Forgoing any private land hunts that may or may not be better or worse, we are going to hit the Potomac river since he loved being out there in the cold of the morning in November. For the opener on Saturday, I invited his oldest hunting partner from when they were kids, and the newest person that John got into waterfowling just last season to join me on his boat and go to his favorite spot on the potomac. We will throw out a few of John's hand painted decoys, and see what he sends us. Im just hoping that the river is going to be up enough to get his boat out there without taking the motor off. I have to do a little scouting over the next 2 days, and a little bit of electrical wiring and put the new registration stickers on his boat. If any of you recognize his boat on the upper potomac, its not a ghost, its just us. Im sure Coldweatherfan will be in the boat with us in spirit though. Hope to post some good success pictures, and good luck to you guys on Saturday. :thumbsup:
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Re: Hoping to honor a great friend on Saturday

Postby mdfowlman » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:08 pm

Good luck on saturday buzz. I hope you guys knock em down. Sorry for your loss
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:02 am

John will be missed and I wished I would have hunted with him more. He'll live in your memories.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ohioboy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:32 am

buzz, you are a good dude. good luck.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:23 am

Got out there early, but found out the floatation pods on the back of John's boat had different size plugs for them than your standard boat plug(way bigger). So in the dark I stood, with 5 boat plugs, (I come prepared), wrapping 2 in duct tape to make them bigger, when i found the secret compartment in the lid of the dry box with 4 more plugs, 2 of which actually fit the pods. So after getting a "later" start, we tried getting to where I had been seeing the ducks. But alas, the river said no, it was too shallow to get there. At 10 min before LST, I said guys, we aren't getting to the spot, were going to settle for the best we can do, and started setting up. A hand full of ducks flew by before lst while we were throwing decoys out. But none came in for any shots. I got to work some geese and had 3 flocks come right into the blocks during the morning. They were lucky they arent in season yet, but it was fun getting them to cup in perfect. Normally getting river geese to commit is quite the challenge. I scouted for a couple hours sunday morning in hopes of finding something for Monday, but only saw deer, turkey and geese. I think the little ducks have moved on ahead of this cold front
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby slicendice » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:51 am

Sorry it didn't work out for you, Buzz. I'm sure John appreciated the gesture and probably got a laugh out of you trying to tape up the plugs!!
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck