taxidermists

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

taxidermists

Postby msmall » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:11 am

Can anyone recommend a good waterfowl taxidermist? I live in western Maryland near Frederick.
msmall
hunter

Postby MDcanvasback2189 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:29 am

i kno it might be a hike, but Travis Taxidermy. It is really close to chestertown Md... they do an awesome job. I have a 150 class buck mounted by them, countless skulls boiled out by them, and like 7 ducks, and one goose. All grade A work ...I highly recommend them.
MDcanvasback2189
hunter

Postby choptankcrabber » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:56 am

Travis is good, but he's gotten very popular.

As a result, he charges at least 50% more than most and there's still a 12 month plus wait. Mother Nature is the real artist, and there are plenty of good taxidermists out there that will do a fine job. Don't know any in your immediate area.

If you ever shoot something real exotic or truly once in a lifetime big game/Africa, or if you want to create some kind of action scene where a fox is jumping up to grab a flushing duck, then Travis has the experience that makes it worth the price and the wait. If you just want to hang a bird on the wall, I'd shop around.
choptankcrabber
hunter

Postby MDcanvasback2189 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:32 pm

choptank.. i c what you are talkin about wit the prices... but come on how many bird do u have or deer that are really going to need to be mounted.. those kinds of things shouldnt be looked at as a money thing.. they should be looked at as a memory and u should want them to look as best as possible and i kno travis is the best.

... let me repeat myself.... Don Travis is the best there is... i personally kno him and his staff and i worked for him a little of the summer and if u looked at all the extra work they do to make ur product better then the competitors u would understand... i can explain further but i dont want to let out and of his secrets!... also he is one of the best hunters i have ever met and if u are lucky enough to see his trophy room you would understand... my opinion is he is one hell of a guy
MDcanvasback2189
hunter

Postby choptankcrabber » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:58 pm

Mdcan- Spoken like a man without two kids and a mortgage....... but I do have to agree that a stop in to see his trophy room is worthwhile if you're ever in the neighborhood. ChopCrab
choptankcrabber
hunter

Postby MDcanvasback2189 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:54 pm

touche! choptank..... lucky im tryin to get all my taxidermy out of the way before i get tied down in to something like ur situation lol.... but his trophy room is magnificent for its size
MDcanvasback2189
hunter

Re: taxidermists

Postby Dr. LoKo » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:00 pm

Sorry to bring up an old topic but can anyone give me any feedback on "Wildlife Artistry Taxidermy" located in Centreville, MD? They seem to have reasonable prices and looking at their website it seems like they have a significant amount of experience. I am looking to have a Drake bufflehead mounted from my first (successful) Solo hunt last weekend...I live in DC so any other recs for taxis closer to home are also appreciated...

Thanks in advance,

:thumbsup:
Dr. LoKo
hunter

Postby Markd » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:10 am

I send my birds to Tim Schloss up in Erie, all you have to do is freeze them and send UPS. Tim did a great job on a diver deadmount for me last year. He's not the cheapeast, but I think the results speak for themselves.

http://www.timschlosstaxidermy.com/index.html

Markd
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:02 am

Tim Martin in Boonsboro. He is a waterfowl hunter himself.
http://martinstaxidermy.homestead.com/Waterfowl_Gallery.html
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fowllife250 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:19 pm

Charlie Fegan does great work, already had one bird mounted by him this season and he has quick turn around time. He has won countless regional and world events. Located in Edgewater MD.
http://feganstaxidermy.com/Home_Page.php
fowllife250
hunter

Postby MD4581 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:37 pm

Ditto on Charlie and CJ Fegan.. Great guys, and greater work !!
MD4581
hunter

Postby Farmpond » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Tim Young Youngs Taxidermery hes awesome and he is in frederick Md. Check out his website
Farmpond
hunter

Postby nu-H20-fouler » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:54 pm

Geisingers' (?) in Thurmont/Emmittsburg off of Rt 15 north just past Thurmont on the left, reasonable and does good work with decent turnaround on his artwork
nu-H20-fouler
hunter

Postby wvlippo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:56 pm

Farmpond wrote:Tim Young Youngs Taxidermery hes awesome and he is in frederick Md. Check out his website

Another vote for Tim Young in Point of Rocks/Fredrick he's deffinitly the best local option and has a nice show room you can look through.
The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

The amendment that guarantees all the rest.
wvlippo
hunter

Postby Dr. LoKo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:05 pm

Thanks for all the info and replys.

Good Hunting!
Dr. LoKo
hunter

taxidermists

Postby Hinkelmonster » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:30 pm

Young's wildlife for sure!!!
Hinkelmonster