Getting Water Fowl Cleaned

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Getting Water Fowl Cleaned

Postby BaillieCH » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:58 am

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get ducks/geese cleaned and ready to cook and eat. I don't have an issue doing to myself save for the fact that I live in a town home and don't have anywhere to do it. Thanks in advance.

Toby
BaillieCH
hunter

Postby boilerhunt » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:23 am

Since I just moved out and haven't had a season in MD yet I don't know what you're regulations are but you might try cleaning them in the field. Usually you have to leave a wing on to transport it but thats taken care of easily when you get back. When I was at school it was always tough getting them into and then cleaning them in the apartment. We used to keep empty beer cases so we could put everything in there and the neighbors wouldnt see rotting duck carcasses in the trash. I would at least recommend plucking them in the field.....thats the majority of the mess.
boilerhunt
hunter

Postby BaillieCH » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:31 am

Thanks I will have to do a little research on regulatory requirements for transporting. I don't think cleaning them in the house would be a good I idea as my wife doesn't seem to keen on the idea.
BaillieCH
hunter

Postby BaillieCH » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:22 pm

I apologize for not stating so in my earlier posts but I'm currently living in the Baltimore Annapolis area. So the closer the better.
BaillieCH
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:51 am

How about breast and legging them in the field. Take trash bags and zip locks to put the breasts in. The little bit of feathers lost will be no care to the farmer.

I have drug deer in to the old town house basement I used to have. Quartered there and finished the quarters on the kitchen counter. You could do it in your basement. just have a drop cloth and a shop vac.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BaillieCH » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:05 am

I don't have a problem breasting and legging the birds in the field provided I know the regulatory requirements (if there are any) for transporting the meat back to my house. I'm also assuming you just through whats left of the bird in the trash.
BaillieCH
hunter

Postby billy » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:54 pm

Shore Sportsman on Kent Island picks birds. There also should be some others near Chestertown or Easton. We used to use a man in St. Michaels named Charley Babe, but that was before the goose moratorium. I don,t know if he still does it or if he is even still alive. As far as the western shore goes I don't know of any
billy
hunter

Postby choptankcrabber » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:55 pm

What boilerhunt said. You can pick them and gut them in the field, but must leave a wing attached. I think you'd have trouble walking out of the field with fillets only. Of course, it's a little vague on what consitutes "the field"...... back at the truck? Course, then your wings and carcasses would be right there available for inspection.
choptankcrabber
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting