good news from weatherman

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

good news from weatherman

Postby mdfowlman » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:04 pm

Most of central and northern new york is going to be in a deep freeze over the next ten days with high temps only reaching 33
mdfowlman
hunter

Re: good news from weatherman

Postby ohioboy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:06 pm

good news. good luck. i hate you guys right now.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:50 pm

someone sounds a tad bit overdue for some duck hunting. if it makes you feel any better ohio I found a few thousand bluebills for this mornings hunt but they decided to raft up 250 yds away and suck in every passing flock for the rest of the day.
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:58 am

mdfowlman wrote:someone sounds a tad bit overdue for some duck hunting. if it makes you feel any better ohio I found a few thousand bluebills for this mornings hunt but they decided to raft up 250 yds away and suck in every passing flock for the rest of the day.

even though that does suck, it is so cool to watch. natures movie theater.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:41 pm

Better than Hi-Def, Sensaround and SmelloVision combined too!
GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:19 pm

ohioboy wrote:
mdfowlman wrote:someone sounds a tad bit overdue for some duck hunting. if it makes you feel any better ohio I found a few thousand bluebills for this mornings hunt but they decided to raft up 250 yds away and suck in every passing flock for the rest of the day.

even though that does suck, it is so cool to watch. natures movie theater.

Definitely cool to watch but there was no shortage of b*tching going on in the boat by my buddies.
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:58 am

"The storm is also affecting animals and casing migrating ducks to fall from the sky in Noble, Okla. Rondi Large, director at Wildcare Foundation in Noble, is caring for a group of confused ducks who thought they were landing in water when they crashed into glistening, ice covered asphalt roads.

"The edges of their beaks had got very bad bruising and bleeding on the end of the beaks so they must have nose-dived," Large said."

http://gma.yahoo.com/deadly-storm-moves ... .html?vp=1

this is going to be a good one. stay safe out there. looks like the wind is going to be nasty. saw the first pond iced over today.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:10 pm

Little bit of ice on the river this morning. River is really low hard to get to a lot of spots. A few ducks but have mostly been seeing geese.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:04 am

Lots of Geese on the move this AM. I knew I should a taken off! :fingerhead:
I'm beginning to think we might get some weather in here. :thumbsup:
GD

Grey Dog
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:09 pm

Just got back from Central NY last night, we were hunting just east of the finger lakes. We went up Thursday night, and burned a full tank of gas once we got up there scouting and knocking on doors on Friday. We saw thousands of geese and mallards on waterways and fields all over the place. There was swamps, beaver ponds, and what surprised me was running combines everywhere. They just got their corn off last week up there so there was great stubble in almost every field we passed for 3-400 miles. Long story short, we hammered birds up there just free lancing and knocking on doors. We shot 77 birds in 2 morning hunts and 1 all dayer in single digit weather sunday. All geese, mallards, and 4 woodies. We left a day early because Saturday night every pond and swamp up there froze over. Sunday we got 3 inches of snow which was fine, we had our 9 man limit(3 bird limit which sucks because we were shewing away geese out of our spread the rest of the day) of geese by lunch and got into the mallards in the evening in a field. Without scouting at all Sunday and all the water locked up, the river across the road that we saw thousands of birds traveling and day loafing looked promising. I secured permission just before dark sunday night on a stretch while the other guys cleaned up our spread just down river where we saw loads of birds coming from. Got there early monday to find much of the river iced up, and lots of slush and ice chunks flowing. They are expecting 6-10 inches of snow today up there, so we left yesterday morning after we figured we were pushing our luck with the ice and running dogs in that weather. It was 5 degrees at LST Monday morning by the way. Saw thousands of geese, ducks, and snows heading south high Monday morning. So we figured we would follow suit and head back to MD. I would expect a good push right around thanksgiving morning fellas
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:47 pm

Some pics from NY trip

Sat AM hunt

Sunday all day hunt

Monday, even the rivers were icing up. We had to take unorthodox tactics
Monday morning before we threw in the towel
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:55 pm

buzz, good work. 9 guys is a lot to travel with. did you hunt as a big group?
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:56 am

yup, every hunt was 9 guys which was tough to hide. Sunday in that corn field we only had 5 geese all morning til we made a decoy move. Instead of really packing decoys tight around our blinds, we took most of them away and made a thick part on the other side of the kill hole. Took the focus off all the blinds and we started hammering birds much easier.
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:50 am

I am way envious! Looks like a fun time for sure. :thumbsup:
BTW If you find yourself short of freezer space, I know a place.......
:beer:
GD

Grey Dog
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:29 am

I was talking with one of the locals on the phone and thanking him for allowing us to hunt. He said they got a big wave of geese come in yesterday, along with 10 " of snow and all the rivers froze over. I think with no open water and 10" of snow on top of all their food, birds ought to move along
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:35 pm

holy
crap.

geese are all over my house right now. you know that low flock that is coasting because it is so tired and they are all looking at the ground to find the x? 3 flocks like that just went over, fighting the wind and a little bit of snow.

get em.
ohioboy
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting