Does your dog have a microchip

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Does your dog have a microchip

Postby Skeet123 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:28 pm

For those that have dogs. Do you use a micropchip? Thinking about getting this done by the vet in a couple of weeks.

This evening I thought the little guy was outside spent an hour out in the rain looking for him only to find that he was inside.
Skeet123
hunter

Re: Does your dog have a microchip

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:57 am

No, I have never done it. My labs have never tended to wander and I never figure they were anywhere they could be stolen. Probably not a bad idea though. I'd be sick if our was ever lost.

Funny thing about looking for the dog. I did the same thing the other day. I thought she walked into the woods and was looking for he calling her. Just to find out my daughter saw her and called her in the house when she was out of my sight and before I started looking for her. :no:
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:45 am

I don't see what good it does if your dog gets stolen. Its not a tracking device. The person who stole your dog would have to take it to the vet, ask them to scan it, and then call you and tell you he stole your dog. Lol, the only benefit is if you have a dog who runs off.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:09 pm

My dogs are chipped and tatted (AKC #). The collars have the cell phone #.
GD
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby rxcrider » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:35 pm

My dog is chipped, had it done when she was spayed. The breeder tatted her as a puppy.
rxcrider
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:49 am

both of mine do... but as mentioned before, they're not tracking devices. they're just RFID tags that are inserted under the skin to ID dogs that dont have any other way to ID them. if the dog ends up in the wrong hands, they're useless.
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:43 pm

There is no panacea. If the person in possession of the dog does not want to reunite said animal with you then there is no way to get them to return it. I just figure that I should make it as easy as possible for whomever has the dog to do the right thing.
Kind of a corollary to "Locks are to keep honest people out." Personally I hope it never has to come into play, but that's never a good strategy.

GD
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:24 am

skeet and cupped, sounds like the chips are more for you. :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

i dont think i would ever do it, but said that about kids, a cell phone, and ipad, marriage, marriage x2, etc.

so i guess maybe is my answer. how much is the chip thing?
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:13 pm

My lab got the chip on Wednesday. It was 35.00 dollars. Hopefully I will never need insurance is never a bad thing to have.
Skeet123
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting