newbie checking in

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

newbie checking in

Postby firsttimer » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:57 am

Hello everyone,

My name is Brian and I live in Arnold by the Bay Bridge. Little background on me. I just started hunting last year. My father never hunted nor did any other family or friends. I have always like shooting but never hunted till now. With that being said, I have a friend who has access to a spot on the patuxent river where we have harvested a few wood ducks and a few goose. I actually got my first banded duck during the last split. it was a ten year old drake wood duck from lancaster PA. We are very fortunate to have this place to hunt but it is quite limited. We are trying to branch out to new places, but both of us are new to hunting. I would like to ask everyone for suggestions. We have a jon boat with an electric motor and a couple kayaks. We don't mind traveling and are just looking for public places to hunt. We checked out a bunch of WMA's in southern MD but all of them were not feasible to get to without a gas motor on the boat. I know this is like a secret society to get information from and I understand, but any info would help. I don't care if we go to the worst spot on earth, I just like being out on the water and the act of hunting

Thanks in advance
Brian
firsttimer
hunter

Re: newbie checking in

Postby PSUbuzz » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:22 am

:welcome:

Here is a link to the list of WMAs with info and maps on the Southern MD western shore public hunting areas. They will give you some ideas. I have only ever hunted licensed blind sites and private land in your area so I don't know what areas might be good or not.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/Pub ... uthern.asp
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby firsttimer » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:23 am

Thanks psu. Ive looked at the dnr site but none of the info tells you if you can wade to the spots or if an electric motor would suffice. Thanks for the input

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
firsttimer
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:30 am

Wish I could be more help but I am usually in the same "boat" when I hunt down there. I have found 90% of the marshes in Southern MD are very muddy bottoms and a pain to wade around in. When scouting down there I try to take my waders with me and do a "trial wade" just seeing how deep it is and how muddy the bottom is before hauling decoys and expensive guns. If youre goin out into open water, take the boat and be careful of the tides and wind. If the marsh allows it, take the boat or at least a canoe. Youll thank that boat when you arent sweating like a fat kid in stinky marsh mud at LST on a 20 degree day just to freeze your butt off 30 minutes later.
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:14 pm

Get a cart for your kayaks and make blinds for them and walk/paddle in. Position the kart properly and it carry's all the weight and makes distance trips not that hard as long as you have a smooth trail. Rough trails or mud will beat you to death! You can hide in and, paddle out to get your birds and come back. What kind of kayaks do you have?

Did you hit the blind site lottery this year?
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby firsttimer » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:25 pm

I did not enter the blind lottery. Does that mean I have no chance of a public spot? I have two 10' sit in kayaks. There from bass pro. And I do have home made pvc carts for them. We cart one down to the river we hunt now. Any suggestions of public places I can kayak to? Once again thanks in advance guys

firsttimer
hunter

Postby potomacwaterfowler » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:49 pm

how and where can someone do the blind lottery?
cast and blast in the 301
potomacwaterfowler
Newb

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:42 am

pay attention to this next year on the website at the beginning of august. Figure out where you would like to hunt so you can try and pick a spot next year.
http://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2013/07/10/blind-site-licensing-dates-and-locations-announced/

These are where people have blind sites now. Zoom in and you can see them.
http://maryland.maps.arcgis.com/apps/OnePane/basicviewer/index.html?appid=720b6b2f4a564db08b7cdf58438636c8

There are some public waterfowl blinds you can reserve, but I do not have a link to them. They are on the DNR site.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:44 am

You might want to look on upgrading those kayaks eventually. If you get on the bay and in open water those sit in's can get swamped if the wind comes up. Check the weather before you go. Guys use them to fish the bay bridge and every year guys are drug out but the rescue squad as the wind comes up and they get swamped.

If you hit the open water you'll need a sit on top.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby firsttimer » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:14 am

Thank you for the help cupped. Sounds like I need to invest in a gas motor for my jon boat or like you said some bay worthy kayaks

firsttimer
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:03 pm

I can take a sit on top kayak in 18" waves but I would not want a jon boat in any rough water. We fished the inlet at point Lookout small bay there one night and there was a jon boat croaker fishing there also. He was up and down getting beat to death in those waves. Our 12' sit on top kayaks took the ride of those waves way smoother. Jon boats are not for rough water!

If you're going to kayak hunt on a SOT learn how to self rescue (flip it back over and re-entry in deep water) and maybe invest in a floating VHF radio. A dry top and waders or dry suit could save your life! I have feel out before and a dry jacket and change of upper body clothes can save or trip or your life depending on how far away from the ramp you are.

Good luck with it.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting