OC Maryland ducking

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

OC Maryland ducking

Postby dawnchaser » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:14 am

Gonna try some duck hunting in the Oc area, what kind of ducks are prevalent in the area? Never hunted there before and don't know if my mallard decoys will work or do I need to get some other species for hunting there.
Thanks,
Brian
dawnchaser
hunter

Re: OC Maryland ducking

Postby Seagull » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:26 pm

buffleheads and black ducks mostly.
Seagull
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:02 am

Brant and Divers mostly. Might run into some teal this late. If you get more inland from OC youll get into a few more puddlers
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby dawnchaser » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:35 pm

Thanks to all. I will give it a go with what I have for now. Will add some another decoys next season.
Brian
dawnchaser
hunter

Postby Ducks-N-Bucks1117 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:34 pm

Just got back tonight from hunting the past two days on Assateague Island. Saw widgeon, tons of black ducks and buffles, hoodies, gadwall, couple mallards and some red breasted mergansers. Ended up limiting out on black ducks both days, hen widgeon this morning and shot some buffles. Good amount of ducks on the island but mostly loaded up with black ducks and buffles as usual for Assateague. Not sure where your planning on going in the OC area, but if you're going to Assateague your mallard deeks will work just fine, the black ducks will work into mallard deeks. Although if you can get your hands on some black duck decoys and mix your mallard deeks in with them it seems to, at least in my experience of hunting there over the past ten years, to greatly increase your odds. I've never hunted anywhere else besides Assateague in the OC area but the marshes seem to hold all varieties of puddlers, and the bigger water like the bays have divers(buffles, scaup, mergansers, ring-necks,again my experience) and brant. Hope this can help you out some or at least help to provide a little bit of insight from what my experiences have been over the years. Good luck and happy hunting.
"If you're too busy to duck hunt or catch fish...you're too busy" -Jase Robertson

"Well those ducks flared nicely" -Me
Ducks-N-Bucks1117
Newb

Postby dawnchaser » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:36 pm

Thank you Ducks-N-Bucks for the info, very informative and greatly appreciated. Will be a little further north of there this time. Will do some exploring this summer on Assateague to figure out the 4wheel drive area and where the blind sites are.
Thanks agIn,
Brian
dawnchaser
hunter

Postby papageno » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:35 pm

There is a flock of cans that use assawoman bay.
papageno
hunter

Postby dawnchaser » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:41 pm

Thanks for the info, sure would like to have some cans pitch in!
Brian
dawnchaser
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting