New to Maryland

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

New to Maryland

Postby Ichabod » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:31 am

I just moved to Maryland this past March from Arkansas. I have a few places to hunt on the eastern shore but since I live on the western shore I am looking for places to waterfowl hunt a little closer to home. I know there is the Potomac River but since I'm new here I really dont know the river at all. I will have my boat here soon and plan on just scouting around but would like to have some pointers on where to look first. Any help would be great. Also if there is anyone looking for someone to hunt with this up coming season, I'm open to any offers.
Ichabod
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:15 am

I hunt the western Potomac. There are lots of areas to hunt. I would read the regulations and scout areas not to far from where you live.

The tidal potomac is not to bad to move around.

The upper potomac is rocky!!!! There is skeg and boat eating rocks up here. Learn the areas you plan to hunt.

You can hunt the bay also. You may need a blind site and go to the drawings and that may be more down near you. I am guessing your between Balto/Wash. Mike might be able to help you out with that.

You can seaduck hunt 500 or 800 yards off shore (read the regs) in the bay, if you have a boat that can handle that kind of chop.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ichabod » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:54 pm

I actualy live at Andrews AFB. So I will more than likely be hunting the tidel waters of the potomac if I hunt the river. How far up the river does it start getting rocky?

As for the bay I dont know if the boat I have is big enough or not. Its a 1652 G3 with a 40 hrs. It doesnt have a blind on it right now but it will before hunting season roles around.

Also green heads are my passion, you wouldn't happen to know of some places that I could go scout where they frequent? I know in Arkansas people are funny about giving out that kind of info. But I'm new here and don't have a clue as to where to start.

Thanks for the info.
Ichabod
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:12 pm

I guess you lived in Little Rock. Welcome to Maryland. I hunt the bay in a 16' Roughneck but stay close to shore. Check out the Maryland DNR website.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/sw_index_flash.asp

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:14 am

Read this:
http://www.midatlanticgameandfish.com/hunting/ducks-geese-hunting/at_aa120502a/

I would take that boat out on the potomac to hunt and only close to shore on the bay. That flat or mod V will not handle the bay rough water well. You'll need a different boat to sea duck hunt and be safe.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ichabod » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:08 pm

Thanks for the information, I should be getting my boat some time next week so I'm going to be getting a head start on the scouting. Who knows maybe we will cross paths some time this coming hunting season.
Ichabod
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting