Best Waterfowl Hunting Land in MD

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Best Waterfowl Hunting Land in MD

Postby Ruination » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:56 pm

So if you lift all the restrictions of availability, distance from where you live, price, etc.. Where in Maryland would you love to have a lease or own land because it offers the best water fowling opportunities?

I have only hunted the eastern shore and not very extensively. Kent Island, Centreville, and Cambridge. Wondering what else is out there. Is there anywhere that sees crazy amounts of ducks flying like Middle states?
Ruination
hunter

Re: Best Waterfowl Hunting Land in MD

Postby PSUbuzz » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:04 am

Well if you lifted the availability restrictions id hunt in the middle of blackwater refuge. You're right in the middle of the best I've seen md offering. Now that whole 2 goose limit thing...don't get me wrong, but I laugh when I see guys saying they shot a 5 man limit of geese, but don't add in it was a AP zone limit. You don't get the opportunity to get a REAL hunt in with that short of a limit. Now ducks, you are certainly in the thick of the best of MD and that's the reason ill pay $12 to come across the bridge. But geese, you'd have to come up to the RP zone to get your best canada hunting in. Throwing out a dozen full bodies and sitting in a comfy stand up blind that sticks out like a sore thumb will not get you a 30 goose day up here my friend. You have to get up early and work for the birds and lay in muddy layouts. In my opinion, that's the best kind . of hunting, where you get to work and overcome challenges for the birds. Beating the odds and adapting to conditions over a full morning hunt gives you the opportunity to make memories. Shooting 2 geese and packing it in on the first volley short changes yourself that opportunity to grow and learn and spend time with family and friends having fun. But, I have to take the good with the bad because our duck hunting up here is crap. If you even just see 100 ducks in a morning hunt you're getting more action than 90% of guys. So the duck hunting has to be on the shore. Snows, obviously the eastern shore is tops. Sorry, tried not to jack the thread on AP goose limits, but when I see those blinds on the bay I laugh every time and can't believe guys kill birds out of them. We do so much work in the RP zone to be concealed that it doesn't seem real that that is "hunting" to some guys
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:15 am

gotta agree with buzz on this one. ducks on the shore, south of cambridge is pretty amazing. that area is just built for waterfowl. i have actually had to wait for 50 mallards to cross the road before, and then they just ran ahead of me. there is just water everywhere.

BUT, i will say that hunting right here in MoCo, just a few years ago, was amazing. i was regularly seeing 1000 birds (ducks and geese combined, but still 500 ducks was not unheard of). when it is good, hunting around here is pretty amazing. the right mix of precip, cold air and cold water and the migration make for a good morning.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Ruination » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:23 am

Why wouldn't you just go with a nice comfy pit buzz?
Ruination
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:11 am

Dont get me wrong, I love hunting out of a pit, but those stand up blinds that just sit out in the middle of a field and you can spot them a mile away are just absurd. I dont know how guys kill birds out of them(i know they do). But geese up our way will spot layout blinds that have a shadow up our way when they are perfectly stubbled in, yet somehow theyll decoy to 6' tall boxes with cypress trimmings that dont match the surrounding corn field at all...
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Ruination » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:16 am

Lol, I hunted out of one of those evergreen boxes last Saturday. I was informed the geese were used to grass and because there were more of them they were more likely to go to a big bush. Personally I have had days in those giant boxes where we could have shot 1000 geese and days where we have shot none.

Personally I like hunting the water, ducks and geese at the same time!
Ruination
hunter

Postby MarylandFowlSlayer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:54 pm

I hunt the Eastern Shore and I pass this spot all time time off of Dover Road. By the Dover Road Bridge there is a small marsh-ish area right next to the road that every single day there are hundreds of geese and ducks that just sit int there all day long... Its pretty impressive. So either that spot or my back yard on the Stoney Creek, I come home from hunting the other day and two dozen geese are standing in my driveway plus the 30 mallards/canvas backs/etc that sit in the creek -__-
Rack Addicts Outdoors
MarylandFowlSlayer
hunter

Postby captkuyk » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:46 pm

i have these properties f or sale in VA. See below

Please click the following link to view the listing(s). If your email software does not support hyperlinks, copy and paste the link into the address bar of your web browser.
http://www.navicamls.net/displays/?n=31 ... 9&k=M1VI5T

Kevin K
captkuyk
hunter

Postby papageno » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:54 pm

Ruination wrote: Is there anywhere that sees crazy amounts of ducks flying like Middle states?

Divers - Honga River, mouth of Chester and Choptank, Little Choptank - but success varies from point to point and ice/weather conditions. Here one day, gone the next. Can be an expensive waste of season, too. Some public areas (Nanticoke R.) can be just as good at the right times.

Pax R. is right up there for both puddlers and divers depending on which part.

Scoters in mid bay in Oct-Nov
papageno
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting