river rescue yesterday on potomac

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

river rescue yesterday on potomac

Postby ohioboy » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:53 pm

anyone know who it was? what happened? cant find anything on it in the local news. near seneca from what i hear.
ohioboy
hunter

Re: river rescue yesterday on potomac

Postby To the limit » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:14 pm

Was there in am , this guy was first there , at end of syc land rd,I hunted timber for ducks heard him screaming at 615am,figured he was yelling for dog, then saw helicopter looking for him, talked to some guys when leaving they said someone in johnboat was 200' from him when he went in the water, then the boat turned off lights &sat still ,***? Hope that guy get what he deserves for not helping , I would say guy went in at 615, helo arrived at 7-715, then resue boat at 8-815, & heard he had no life vest on with waders in kayak , guys need to think before they go out or suffer when accident happens , by the way no ducks at all in timber anywhere , walked all to right of syc land rd / ice in am then partly ice in eve,
To the limit
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:45 am

I looked online and can't find anything. I hunt from Kayaks and have stayed away from the river with it being 3' higher than normal lately. If he did not have his PDF than he was just being extra stupid.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby PSUbuzz » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:08 am

i was thinking about scouting down there today on the way home but if there was ice on saturday, im sure itll be icy the rest of the week. Ill stick to the fields, river(with my PFD), and maybe get the ice eater out for some pond action. Unfortunate hearing about this sort of accident, but its a reminder to us all to wear the life jackets and if the river isnt safe for your skill level or knowledge of where obstacles are on a section, dont risk it. I do a lot of stupid stuff out there, but if I know its stupid, I at least have the common courtesy to the rescue crews to wear a PFD and make it easy to recover my body. Its one thing to see the water in the day light, its another to navigate it in the dark with decoy, guns, dog etc in your kayak. Be safe out there guys
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:27 am

does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby RickC » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:43 am

Thanks for posting the video. Sounds like he might have got his anchor stuck while in fast water and couldn't cut it loose before flipping his kayak. I learned that lesson a couple of years ago, fortunately in the summer in shallow water. Now I always make sure I have a quick release for the anchor just in case.

Be safe,
Rick
RickC
hunter

Postby slicendice » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:13 am

I actually wasn't far from there Saturday. We saw the helo circling and had heard a boat before that but were too far away to know what was going on.
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby slicendice » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:19 am

Looking at that video, I'm not sure that's what I saw. The video shows the time as 12:00. This was around 7 or so that the helo was circling and it wasn't the blue and white park police chopper from that video. Not sure what I saw was, then. One of my hunting partners asked what the helo was circling for and I told them it looked like a river rescue but that helo never hovered like they located what they were looking for.
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby John Mc » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:09 pm

There were at least 3 rescues on the Potomac River last Saturday, 2 by Montgomery Co and one by Fairfax Co. The one in the morning was not picked off by the helicopter. I’m not 100% sure what incident that video was from but I know the Eagle was used by Mo Co on a call down near Carderock in the afternoon.

The one in the morning was a hunter. The word I got (not official) was there were 3 guys in Kayaks one flipped over they managed to get him to the island. Fire rescue picked him up and transported for hypothermia. I’m not sure if the other incidents involved hunters or not.

Please be careful guys YOUR LIFE IS NOT WORTH A FEW DUCK!!!!! Keep track of the river stages and if it’s not safe don’t go!! The same goes for Ice. I know there are a lot of guys out there that love to hunt the river in the ice but you are flirting with disaster. That river is way too dangerous when the ice flows start moving down it.
John Mc
hunter

Postby Markdilljr » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:34 pm

It was a buddy of mine, never made the news. He did have a life jacket on. I had all the guns and decoys in my kayak. He tipped over and swamped kayak. He made a rookie mistake that I didn't catch because I was hauling gear to water, he put bibs and jacket over his waders and could not get them off in water. I saved him but lost his kayak. On land I had trouble starting fire since everything was frozen and wet, gave him my dry clothes. He is ok and was released from hospital. A guy was 100 yrds from us in boat when I hit him with strobe light and yelled for help he turned lights off, my good friend almost died out there and that a$$hole was sitting and watching, my shotgun wanted to pay him a visit but getting to hospital was more important. Thank you survival training and swift water rescue
Markdilljr
Newb

Postby slicendice » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:58 pm

Glad to hear your buddy is ok.

Definately no excuse for the guy being close but not helping.
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby Jfk1700 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:39 am

The river will still be dangerous this weekend. If you don't have the right gear and proper knowledge of the river...I'd think twice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Jfk1700
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:03 pm

PSUbuzz wrote:http://www.wusa9.com/video/2268182208001/1/Dramatic-Rescue-On-The-Potomac-River

http://www.wusa9.com/news/maryland/arti ... omac-river

that video is old. story is correct. glad he is ok, but wtf-no jacket!
ohioboy
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:11 pm

Markdilljr wrote:It was a buddy of mine, never made the news. He did have a life jacket on. I had all the guns and decoys in my kayak. He tipped over and swamped kayak. He made a rookie mistake that I didn't catch because I was hauling gear to water, he put bibs and jacket over his waders and could not get them off in water. I saved him but lost his kayak. On land I had trouble starting fire since everything was frozen and wet, gave him my dry clothes. He is ok and was released from hospital. A guy was 100 yrds from us in boat when I hit him with strobe light and yelled for help he turned lights off, my good friend almost died out there and that a$$hole was sitting and watching, my shotgun wanted to pay him a visit but getting to hospital was more important. Thank you survival training and swift water rescue

i always carry dry clothes, even when i am in my layout. good work keeping him alive.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:32 pm

One on the river Saturday in the am until 1pm. I thought I heard the rescue boat. If I was near I would have helped. I keep a full set of dry clothes, fire starter tender and log in my boat. Its a damn shame a POS turned his light off. The Potomac > 4ft at Little Falls is too dangerous for a yak when its 30 degrees IMO. Glad to hear everyone made it out alive.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby rxcrider » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:53 pm

Glad to hear your buddy is doing well. I hiked out by the river today and man is it moving. Saturday might be a wash out for those guys that like hunting out of Pennyfield.
rxcrider
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting