16 degrees

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

16 degrees

Postby mdfowlman » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:43 am

They are calling for freezing temps from thursday afternoon til sat afternoon. Should make for a good weekend. Finally get to break some ice
mdfowlman
hunter

Re: 16 degrees

Postby miket410 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:24 pm

sounds like its going to be a cold weekend
miket410
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:04 pm

potomac river by me came up almost 5 ft since this morning. Supposed to Crest tomorrow evening at almost 13 ft (normal is 4 ft). Im hoping it comes down by saturday since all the ponds around me will be frozen. I feel like thatll be a long morning waiting around on geese to fly to fields too, but well be out somewhere. My gf got me a ton of hot hands for Christmas so theyll get put to good use
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:43 pm

Well now the they are calling for a potential for 8+ inches of snow on friday. Ill be headed to the shore to hunt ducks friday and saturday, usually do great when the marshes really freeze solid. They are now calling for single 11 degrees and -10 with the wind chill
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby Miles To Go » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:40 am

Anybody else going out tomorrow? Going to be cold!
Miles To Go
Newb

Postby MD Bandhunter » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:34 am

seeing as how we are hunting from a yak and yesterday we tried the Potomac and couldn't even get out due to current i will be sitting on my ass tomorrow doing nothing :mad:
2014/2015
Beer- A lot!
"See the duck
Be the duck
SHOOT THE **** DUCK!!!"
MD Bandhunter
hunter

Postby firsttimer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:23 am

Went out saturday on the patuxent and did not see anything fly at all. Heard a few bursts of shots around the area but nothing like we usually hear. Did anyone have any luck?
firsttimer
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:32 am

was out on the potomac with some friends and had the best hunt ive ever had out there. We werent shooting too well which ill claim was because of the amount of clothes we had on. We ended up with 6 geese, 4 blacks, 6 mallards, 2 wigeon, and 1 mergy. We actually had 2 large flocks(10-20) of mallards decoying pretty well, which were the flocks we whiffed on and didnt knock any down. But we stayed dry and warm and had a great time. Ill be keeping an eye on the water level, not sure whether the river will ice up this week and well have to go down to the bay, or if the river will keep producing for us
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby rxcrider » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:16 am

we had a good hunt out on the Potomac Saturday morning as well, a two man limit of geese and a few ring necks. I blew it on a pair of mallards early, but oh well that is hunting. We did see a few large flocks mallards, but they were on a mission and not interested in our spread. I hope this keeps up with the cold temps.
rxcrider
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:45 pm

Same here. Limit of Geese and limit of mallards. No bands.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:33 pm

if you are going, keep an eye on this http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?01646500 for the water temps. river will be open if the winds keep it that way. ramps, bring a sledge. shoot a limit for me. glad to hear guys getting on them.

fields have been busy by me, but the flying honkers i have been seeing are all gone, i assume staying near open water.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:01 am

well, Im an idiot. I went out Tuesday in the cold just to say I hunted in the coldest day in MD in 20 years. I killed a goose 5 minutes after I set up. I also thought I could wade out and retrieve it. Thought being the key word. The river is a bit higher than it looks under that ice. I stepped off a ledge and took a little water in the waders. Luckily I caught it quickly enough that not much got in and it froze instantly to my coat. I toughed out the rest of the hunt, but was much more cautious about where I was taking shots. Be careful out there with that ice fellas. I was just reading a story about 2 duck hunters that died yesterday up in RI after their pop up boat blind got icey, thereby making it even more top heavy, add 20mph winds to that icy sail, and it capsized. 2 died, 1 survived.
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Jfk1700 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:04 am

LOTS of ice today.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Jfk1700
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:47 am

PSUbuzz wrote:well, Im an idiot. I went out Tuesday in the cold just to say I hunted in the coldest day in MD in 20 years. I killed a goose 5 minutes after I set up. I also thought I could wade out and retrieve it. Thought being the key word. The river is a bit higher than it looks under that ice. I stepped off a ledge and took a little water in the waders. Luckily I caught it quickly enough that not much got in and it froze instantly to my coat. I toughed out the rest of the hunt, but was much more cautious about where I was taking shots. Be careful out there with that ice fellas. I was just reading a story about 2 duck hunters that died yesterday up in RI after their pop up boat blind got icey, thereby making it even more top heavy, add 20mph winds to that icy sail, and it capsized. 2 died, 1 survived.

jesus man. deep breath. you are lucky.

i would not be hunting today even if i could with the ice flows. too dangerous and too much time chasing decoys.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:58 am

eh, i stayed out there for another 2 hours. Luckily I had enough layers on, that the water froze to my coat and i barely felt it. The stupid part, was hunting out there before my partner got there. But the birds were flying and I couldnt resist. I preach be careful and never hunt alone when conditions are dangerous. I gotta listen to myself more often. I know that spot like the back of my hand, I was just stupid and thought if I took 2 more steps I could reach it.
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:52 pm

you need a DOG :thumbsup:
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:45 pm

Pretty sure he has a dog. Depending on conditions it may be safer to keep the dog at home. I would worry about my dog getting stuck in an ice flow. I sometime air on the side of caution though maybe to my detriment.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:30 am

-20 windchills? Im not sending a dog out to retrieve birds with the river 75% ice flow and then making him sit there for 3 hours. Thats a bit much for a dog. PS, I dont personally have a dog, but many of my hunting partners do have dogs. My brother even occasionally lets me borrow his lab. But I wouldnt even ask someone else to bring their dog into those conditions.
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Two boots goody » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:07 pm

buzz, where on the PAX were you? And if anyone checked that was King tides. Unfortunately on the PAX it was low tide in early AM and it effected me greatly.
Two boots goody
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:56 am

i was on upper potomac tuesday. Might be near the pax next weekend
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby agkoh » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:04 am

I Was on The Upper Pax on sat, 4th. High Tide Where i Was...
Dove-23
agkoh
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting