Boat ramp courtesy

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Boat ramp courtesy

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:37 pm

Just a reminder to guys that will be putting boats in the river or bay this weekend. When its as cold as its supposed ot be, the water dripping off your trailer quickly freezes to the ramp, making it dangerous for other guys putting in after you. It also makes it dangerous for you to get your boat back out when youre done if its still below freezing. Even if your truck has 4wd, a sheet of ice is a sheet of ice, especially with the weight of a trailered boat behind you dragging your truck into the river. Either get it out of the water quick, or let it drip off before you pull it all the way out.

Also, if we get the snow we are expecting, it would be mighty nice of you to bring a snow shovel with you to the ramp. Last year, myself, and 2 other strangers worth of boats all helped eachother clear a ramp of 6" of snow before any of us put boats in. I even left my half bag of salt at the ramp for the last guy to throw down so we didnt have a sheet of ice to come back to when we were done. Be nice to eachother out there, nobody needs to lose a truck in the river. I hear that kind of thing blocks up a ramp pretty bad when it happens.
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Re: Boat ramp courtesy

Postby mdfowlman » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:03 pm

I'm usually first out in the morning and always put down salt and if I'm not first there always seems to be salt down but. You can actually slide all the way in the water. Once you hit the water line the truck stops. But its still a dangerous situation
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:33 pm

I don't think the people that are icing the ramps are ignorant, I think they do it on purpose. I have talked with several in Washington and Frederick and they were really kind of smug about it.

But, like you, I am wishing for the best in people. I am just not always seeing it out of some hunters.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ohioboy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:36 pm

Cupped-n-Committed wrote:I don't think the people that are icing the ramps are ignorant, I think they do it on purpose. I have talked with several in Washington and Frederick and they were really kind of smug about it.

But, like you, I am wishing for the best in people. I am just not always seeing it out of some hunters.

wow. that is low. guess there are some dirtbags out there.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:54 am

Yea, one guy at 4 locks used to floor it and would see how far he could drag water up the ramp and that's a steep ramp. Most guys do pull out slowly and let it drip, if for nothing else, you have to come back out that way. Its the dirt bags you really remember and do it in for the rest of us, even if they are the few.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby scooter1 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:16 pm

I wouldn't have thought anyone would be icing up the ramp on purpose either....I have just chalked it up to them being ignorant or just not thinking about it....but for them to do it on purpose....wow, thats sad....I've fell and busted my arse on ice before and I don't wish that on anyone.
scooter1
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting