Canoe on Fishing Bay

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Canoe on Fishing Bay

Postby gnorris74 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:28 pm

Hey all,

Just trying to get my bases covered as far as getting ready for next year, as far off as that seems, it really isn't that far, so my question is would a canoe hold up well in the fishing bay area for next year? Mostly looking to be on the smaller creeks and mashes in the reeds. Any info would be appreciated.

Garrett
gnorris74
hunter

Re: Canoe on Fishing Bay

Postby mdfowlman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:51 pm

Depends on what side.. bestpitch ferry rd or Elliotts island rd. I would atleast want a trolling motor though when the tide and wind are in sync it can get the current ripping in those feeder creeks
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby gnorris74 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:53 pm

I was thinking of a small 2.5 HP outboard. Thanks for the heads up though.
gnorris74
hunter

Postby barrelburner » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:11 pm

In my opinion not a gd idea for the current and ever changing conditions of fishing bay. :biggrin: :smile: If its a very wide canoe possibly, but do yourself a favor and your loved ones and get at least a 12ft jon boat. I am sure others will agree with this advice.
barrelburner
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:38 pm

i have hunted there several times in my layout boat-its an otter phantom. open water is dicey and be careful near edges with waves. marshes and creeks can go dry quick, and that means you are stuck. tides+moon+wind+recent precip=your chances of hunting. i dont know you or your skill sets, so i would say you could do it, but be ready to stay the night if something goes wrong.

i loved paddling down there, but it was creepy. no one around for miles is a helpless feeling at times and made me think twice about several spreads and where the birds would be falling if i shot. nothing there is as simple as set up and shoot.

pm me if you want more.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Dalton » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:53 am

Ohioboy pretty much said it. As long as you are a safe and experienced canoeist, you'll be fine in the creeks and rivers of fishing bay. I've hunted it in canoes and kayaks many times and prefer the kayak if there's a breeze. The creeks can get choppy when the wind and tide are against each other, but its usually manageable. Everyone is right, a motor will help a lot and I'd have a rowing set up as back up if your solo. Its a very tough paddle when winds and tides are in sync. The current can really rip hard on the Blackwater, Transquaking and other major creeks/rivers. Get heavy decoy weights, my 6oz weights don't hold great and I usually have to chase a few dekes down. A friend of mine hunts off Elliott Is rd via canoe with paddles only and goes whichever way the current is, sets up and by the time he leaves its flowing back to the ramp. Nothing is easy there, that's for sure and a spot that's loaded with birds one day can be empty the next. Lots of hit and miss hunts because of it. Birds can fall in the grass or can dive as soon as they hit the water never to be seen again. Get there early and set up well before shooting time and teal are almost a guarantee at 1st light. Lots of black ducks along the Blackwater river. Check it out. Its beautiful. Grass and water as fas as you can see.
Dalton
Newb

Postby ohioboy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:23 pm

wife and i have fished down there in the summer and it is pretty cool as well, just head for open water to avoid the skeeters. it is an area that is awesome to see at least once. pretty nuts that you have to be careful the tide does not cut you off from your return (and i am talking about on the road, not in the water).
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Eastduck » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:44 am

I live on Elliott Island, grew up on the Nanticoke and hunt Fishing Bay in every capacity on all sides, conditions and in general the entire area. As everyone mentioned it is a hard place to hunt so you need to have all your ducks in a row so to speak. I have canoed much of the area. I would suggest doing it this summer and seeing how you do.

The problem is not the water but the depth of the water and the bottom. The area is very deep mud. Believe me I have been over my armpits in mud, alone, cold, exhausted and unsure if I would make it to my boat alive. When the tide goes out it goes out fast more than once I have been stuck to point where I had grab my gun and do the Bataan death march to the road and I am not getting younger if you know what I mean. 2 pieces of equipment I always have is a flare gun and a road flare. Cell reception is spotty to non-existent and then who would come and get you if you do call? I carry the road flare so I can lite the marsh on fire if I ever really got it trouble and I freezing to death at least I could follow the fire line and stay warm to the road and hopefully it would attract some attention.

In the past a canoe was OK but remember if your in a canoe and you have 2 inches of water with a very soft mud bottom you are not paddling you are trying to push but you cant push because its mud and mud that sticks to your paddle making each paddle weight seemingly 40lbs. Suck, dam right that situation sucks.

Big water is also adventure. Even in the summer there are days I see no other boat and it does get rough. There are creeks I hunt and fish where I have never seen another boat in 15 years of fishing or hunting it.

So it is a question of is it worth it or not. Will you shoot ducks? Is it worth 1 black duck, one canvasback, one whatever?

Because one thing for sure is if you don't live near it or on it is a long way from home and people.

I have seen many people over the years from all over that spend all night driving from wherever and roll down the road just to put their 20K duck hunting boat in the water and report later in the day that they saw no ducks. I never see them again! Its a big place, takes a days long commitment, and its hard to hunt and scouting is required. To be honest, if you don't spend the time scouting and understanding the place then its a waste of time.

Now with all of this said I don't want to discourage you there plenty of birds there, Arkansas it isn't. Just advising you to do some exploring this summer watch the birds etc. Enjoy it for its beauty. Wave to the locals get the fire companies phone number so if you ever do get in trouble they will be the only ones that can get you quick.
Eastduck
Newb

Postby islandgoose » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:53 pm

I' ve hunted Blackwater for 40 years and all these posts are right on target . Great advice.
islandgoose
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting