Open Water?

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.


Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Open Water?

Postby MarylandFowlSlayer » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:55 pm

Wanted to try to get some hunting in tomorrow but IDK if anything is going to be open... Anyone seen anything that might be open? Trying to make the best of the final week of duck season.
WILL BREAK ICE FOR DUCKS!!!
Rack Addicts Outdoors
MarylandFowlSlayer
hunter
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:56 pm


Re: Open Water?

Postby mdfowlman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:56 pm

Should be fine for tomorrow u won't get more than an inch over night on the small protected ponds. Most larger bodies of water won't get any due to the high winds. But when she stops blowing its gonna lock most everything up. I'm hoping to find anything open on saturday seeing how they are calling for wind on saturday hunting in the main stem of the bay is outta the question. Ill be chasing divers tomorrow though before my blind gets locked up for good
mdfowlman
hunter
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Baltimore, Md

Re: Open Water?

Postby MarylandFowlSlayer » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:16 pm

Ah lucky you... Im pretty limited to smaller ponds :/
Rack Addicts Outdoors
MarylandFowlSlayer
hunter
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:56 pm

Re: Open Water?

Postby Jfk1700 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:42 am

I dont have high hopes for the pmac :(
Jfk1700
hunter
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: Open Water?

Postby Oneandonlychaz » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:25 pm

Checked out McKee-Beshers WMA this afternoon, impoundments had 2-3" of ice on them as of 3pm. Hard to break ice and I could walk on it without breakin thru (250lbs). Creeks were mostly frozen up unless there was a lot of moving water then there might have been a chance. Potomac looked clear as could be tho, no ice to speak of. I was hoping to find a small hole to hunt in the AM but until i get a boat I may be SOL

Charlie
Oneandonlychaz
Newb
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:44 pm

Re: Open Water?

Postby mdfowlman » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:55 am

I planned to hunt the last day on open water on fishing bay but I'm sure its going to be frozen completely.. the northern bay and tributaries are icing up fast
mdfowlman
hunter
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Baltimore, Md

Re: Open Water?

Postby MarylandFowlSlayer » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:24 am

Well I attempted to hunt this morning... Took my sledge hammer and tried to break ice for about 20 minutes and got maybe 10ft, decided that the 6in+ of ice was too much... Rode to another spot.. Looked frozen about just as much... Well the AM was a bust so will bring decoys if anyone has anything open or wants to try something
Rack Addicts Outdoors
MarylandFowlSlayer
hunter
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:56 pm

Re: Open Water?

Postby To the limit » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:12 pm

Instead of breaking ice,,,,,try this, get some porta John blue sani bags & open on top off ice ,spread thin , ducks see it as open blue water, or can use big blue tarp , set decoys on top , instant open water , lol. Us duck hunters will do almost anything once !!!
To the limit
hunter
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:44 am

Re: Open Water?

Postby mdfowlman » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:19 pm

I don't have the liberty to just walk out to the water I must go by boat so that's not going to work for me
mdfowlman
hunter
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Baltimore, Md

Re: Open Water?

Postby To the limit » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:47 pm

I have 1756 g3 60hp ,(not recently) cut/broke 4-6-8-maybe more inches of ice from bestpitch ramp to the bay at fishin bay ,hunted the last point on right , bay was frozen, but boat will go thru it ,just sounds like hell, had 1 merganser come by & 1 lone goose all day , didn't see any ducks ,, that place sucks lol, have only had good results there 1 time , & early teal , have hunted this place about 25 times , covered all areas , just not a lot of ducks , at least IMO
To the limit
hunter
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:44 am

Re: Open Water?

Postby MarylandFowlSlayer » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:41 pm

Heard about the tarp or actually black trash bags... Just don't let the ducks hit the bags or whatever.. cause while funny as hell to watch them bounce off the ice... It messes up your whole spread.. Unfortunately I did not think about that since it was too late...
Rack Addicts Outdoors
MarylandFowlSlayer
hunter
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:56 pm

Re: Open Water?

Postby fishduck » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:14 pm

Maryland, where are you from? I have plenty of open water north of the bay bridge.
fishduck
hunter
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:34 am
Location: Pasadena, Maryland

Re: Open Water?

Postby mdfowlman » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:25 pm

fishduck wrote:Maryland, where are you from? I have plenty of open water north of the bay bridge.

As of this morning the as far as I could see by hartmiller island it was frozen. And crossing the key bridge the ice was from one side to another Good luck with open water on saturday. I'm sure the main stem of the bay will have open water but with 20+ mph ssw winds I won't be out in the main stem of the bay
mdfowlman
hunter
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Baltimore, Md

Re: Open Water?

Postby mdfowlman » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:32 pm

To the limit wrote:I have 1756 g3 60hp ,(not recently) cut/broke 4-6-8-maybe more inches of ice from bestpitch ramp to the bay at fishin bay ,hunted the last point on right , bay was frozen, but boat will go thru it ,just sounds like hell, had 1 merganser come by & 1 lone goose all day , didn't see any ducks ,, that place sucks lol, have only had good results there 1 time , & early teal , have hunted this place about 25 times , covered all areas , just not a lot of ducks , at least IMO

You do know you can drive a car on 6" of ice I have broke 3" in my war eagle 1860 which is not easy and broke a lot of ice headed out of bestpitch but I can tell you with certainty no one is breaking 6-8 " with a jon boat maybe 6-8" of slush but not ice. Also that place can give you some great hunts just gotta find the birds
mdfowlman
hunter
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Baltimore, Md

Re: Open Water?

Postby To the limit » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:06 am

Fowlman, two men on front of boat rocking & drive boat up on ice till the boat breaks thru , cut ice , not slush , anyhoo, yes agree with have to be where birds r at fb, but just not a lot of ducks IMO , only place I see is end of doctors creek to be consistent with morn ducks (but minimal)

If I may ask u this ," at fishing bay on a good day , what would be a guestamation of how many ducks (puddlers) u have come in/near/commit to your dekes ,

My own would be about maybe a true 10-20 ducks

Not sayin locked up , just sayin ones worth calling " not a mile away either"
To the limit
hunter
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:44 am

Re: Open Water?

Postby mdfowlman » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:02 am

To the limit wrote:Fowlman, two men on front of boat rocking & drive boat up on ice till the boat breaks thru , cut ice , not slush , anyhoo, yes agree with have to be where birds r at fb, but just not a lot of ducks IMO , only place I see is end of doctors creek to be consistent with morn ducks (but minimal)

If I may ask u this ," at fishing bay on a good day , what would be a guestamation of how many ducks (puddlers) u have come in/near/commit to your dekes ,

My own would be about maybe a true 10-20 ducks

Not sayin locked up , just sayin ones worth calling " not a mile away either"

We shot 3 man limits on the two last days of the season last yr in fishing bay ,blacks, mallards spoonies gadwalls teal and mergansers.on the first day we had 1000+ mallards ( most I've ever see ) swing over the decoys at 20 yards. But I have regularly had flocks of10-20 ducks come through the blocks. And look I don't want to argue but you can not break 6-8" ice with a jon boat please someone chime in on this subject
mdfowlman
hunter
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Baltimore, Md

Re: Open Water?

Postby ohioboy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:05 am

mdfowlman wrote:
To the limit wrote:Fowlman, two men on front of boat rocking & drive boat up on ice till the boat breaks thru , cut ice , not slush , anyhoo, yes agree with have to be where birds r at fb, but just not a lot of ducks IMO , only place I see is end of doctors creek to be consistent with morn ducks (but minimal)

If I may ask u this ," at fishing bay on a good day , what would be a guestamation of how many ducks (puddlers) u have come in/near/commit to your dekes ,

My own would be about maybe a true 10-20 ducks

Not sayin locked up , just sayin ones worth calling " not a mile away either"

We shot 3 man limits on the two last days of the season last yr in fishing bay ,blacks, mallards spoonies gadwalls teal and mergansers.on the first day we had 1000+ mallards ( most I've ever see ) swing over the decoys at 20 yards. But I have regularly had flocks of10-20 ducks come through the blocks. And look I don't want to argue but you can not break 6-8" ice with a jon boat please someone chime in on this subject


if we had 6 inches of ice in ohio, we were plowing snow with the tractor to play hockey. you could forget hunting. guy that i hunt with actually broke an anchor trying to break through less than 4 at seneca a few years back.

birds at fishing bay are there, but depends, just like everywhere else, on when and where. 1000 mallards sounds like something that would cause me to just freeze up and watch.
User avatar
ohioboy
hunter
 
Posts: 2356
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: MoCo, MD

Re: Open Water?

Postby ohioboy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:32 pm

A public service announcement for those of you heading to the potomac in the am: don't. Solid to Virginia at Riley's and Edwards is flowing huge sections of ice. (2 boats out of edwards and i dont know where they were hunting since all i could see was ice flows)
User avatar
ohioboy
hunter
 
Posts: 2356
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: MoCo, MD

Re: Open Water?

Postby rxcrider » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:32 pm

ohioboy wrote:A public service announcement for those of you heading to the potomac in the am: don't. Solid to Virginia at Riley's and Edwards is flowing huge sections of ice. (2 boats out of edwards and i dont know where they were hunting since all i could see was ice flows)


Thank you for the PA. We scouted from Pennyfield to Edwards today and locked up damn tight...not the way I wanted to spend the last day of duck season.
User avatar
rxcrider
hunter
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:01 pm
Location: Clarksburg, MD

Re: Open Water?

Postby fishduck » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:02 pm

I agree about the ice. I have broken a lot of ice over the span of 35 years and I have broke ice 3" thick, any thicker and the boat just rides up on it and you cannot break it. What I have done in cases where the ice is to thick to break is slide the boat off the trailer onto the ice and push the boat on the ice to open water. The hard part is getting the boat back to the ramp after the hunt.
fishduck
hunter
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:34 am
Location: Pasadena, Maryland

Re: Open Water?

Postby To the limit » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:22 pm

Md;
At fb. Keep dreamin, sell your Jon boat ,lmao
To the limit
hunter
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:44 am

Re: Open Water?

Postby Dalton » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:37 am

Anyone know if its frozen over at Point of Rocks or Brunswick? If its locked up in Poolesville, I can't imagine its any better farther up river.
Dalton
Newb
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:26 am

Re: Open Water?

Postby ohioboy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:12 pm

i assume river is locked up or flowing heavy and would be a no go regardless of where you are now.
User avatar
ohioboy
hunter
 
Posts: 2356
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: MoCo, MD

Re: Open Water?

Postby dawnchaser » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:34 pm

Spots down OC Md are iced in. Open water out further in the back bay and ocean. Didn't even try with the wind blowing like it is.
dawnchaser
hunter
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:52 am

Re: Open Water?

Postby rxcrider » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:24 pm

I counted five trailers in the Pennyfield lot this afternoon, hope someone got some good shooting in.
User avatar
rxcrider
hunter
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:01 pm
Location: Clarksburg, MD

Next

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests