Open Water?

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Re: Open Water?

Postby MAH » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:31 pm

Anyone seen any Canada's flying in Balt County? I haven't seen any since last Sunday, I guess cause of the cold.
MAH
Newb

Postby mdfowlman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:14 pm

:beer:
ohioboy wrote:
mdfowlman wrote:
To the limit wrote:Fowlman, two men on front of boat rocking & drive boat up on ice till the boat breaks thru , cut ice , not slush , anyhoo, yes agree with have to be where birds r at fb, but just not a lot of ducks IMO , only place I see is end of doctors creek to be consistent with morn ducks (but minimal)

If I may ask u this ," at fishing bay on a good day , what would be a guestamation of how many ducks (puddlers) u have come in/near/commit to your dekes ,

My own would be about maybe a true 10-20 ducks

Not sayin locked up , just sayin ones worth calling " not a mile away either"

We shot 3 man limits on the two last days of the season last yr in fishing bay ,blacks, mallards spoonies gadwalls teal and mergansers.on the first day we had 1000+ mallards ( most I've ever see ) swing over the decoys at 20 yards. But I have regularly had flocks of10-20 ducks come through the blocks. And look I don't want to argue but you can not break 6-8" ice with a jon boat please someone chime in on this subject[/qu

if we had 6 inches of ice in ohio, we were plowing snow with the tractor to play hockey. you could forget hunting. guy that i hunt with actually broke an anchor trying to break through less than 4 at seneca a few years back.

birds at fishing bay are there, but depends, just like everywhere else, on when and where. 1000 mallards sounds like something that would cause me to just freeze up and watch.

ote] it was a sight that's for sure. It was being at the right place at the right time (pure luck). We had a cold snap and snow moving in on a sw wind so it froze the backwater and forced the birds to wait it out on the bay. We didn't have a mallard decoy out just the diver rig. When they got up and headed towards us everyone had the same reaction no f-ing way. Its was close distance pass shooting. We took 9 birds out of the flock and it seemed as though the shots didn't bother them they flee around for a few minutes and landed 200 yrds in front of us again
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:22 am

We scratched a couple blacks, 1 green head and a few mergies on Saturday. The ice was certainly coming down. The river but we found a decent enough sheltered spot from the ice flow
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:56 pm

Still a few places open but the choices seem to becoming more and more limited.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:16 pm

Skeet123 wrote:Still a few places open but the choices seem to becoming more and more limited.

at this point the spots open must be really moving, and i would assume are impossible to get to and hard to even keep a decoy floating.

i have seen geese in fields by me that never have birds. ALL are laying down and eating. looks so funny.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:45 am

I wish I wasnt stuck at work in the mornings. I know geese are feeding in fields in the afternoons, but im wondering what theyre doing in the mornings right now. Ive got a terrible feeling theyre going to change patterns tomorrow and saturday with this warm weather and my saturday hunt is going to turn into a skunk haha
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:55 pm

Noticed a lot of geese hitting fields morning and evening today
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:10 pm

checked seneca today. river IS open on the md side, but only a very small strip. snow tomorrow, below freezing for the next 10 days at least will keep that the same for a while. :no:

i have a group of 250 geese in a field by my house that has not had birds in those numbers all year. it is just grass. so, good luck getting it right. :smile: i would have bet on corn.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:35 am

we killed 13 in a cover crop grass field thursday after work. Saturday we hunted a small open pocket on a farm pond that had been holding a good many birds. We set up after they left to feed in a field (couldnt get permission on the X or anywhere in between), killed 10 (only let 2 witnesses get away) and got cleaned up before the other 190ish came back. Well see what this snow does for moving them around
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:16 pm

there is a lot of open water now. :yes: :yes: :yes:

i live right off of seneca creek-near the headwaters in fact and i just saw several large LOGS go floating by my backyard.

any word on the spawn? i know water temps have been down, so i hope that does not kill this class.
ohioboy
hunter

Previous

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting