What's the worst they could say?

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

What's the worst they could say?

Postby PSUbuzz » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:59 am

Thought Id share this story from Monday evening now that I can chuckle a bit about it...

So now that duck is out, I found myself cruising farm fields in search of geese yesterday afternoon. After finding about 500 geese hitting a field, I pulled into a farm lane to knock and see if I could gain permission to hunt it. I always lived by the words my uncle who got me into waterfowling, "the worst they could say is no". Ive gotten a PETA lecture once or twice before but that was the worst. Well I knocked on the door, and after about 2 minutes nobody answered. I heard one dog bark but thought nothing of it from inside the house. I figured they were maybe eating dinner and didnt want to be bothered or were out milking so I turned and headed back to my truck. I was about 10 yds from the door when I heard it open. Out of the corner of my eye, I see 3, 150lb plus massive rotweillers coming at me full speed :eek: . The first grabs me by my forearm, the 2nd by the bottom of my jacket, and the 3rd grabs my family goods like a lab with a duck in his mouth, one wrong move and I fully believe my unborn children would be torn from my body. The older "gentleman" yells from the front door "can I help you". While the dogs were not neccessarily pulling me down, I was being held by 3 growling very angry rotweillers that I didnt have much weight on waiting their masters command to give one quick head shake and bring me down. After yelling I was there to see if I could goose hunt, he called them off me. I never saw any "beware of dog signs" or posted signs of any sort. Guy was nice enough afterwards, but my life flashed before my eyes, and I may have soiled myself a bit. I love dogs too, but to say the least, my usual shootin the S with a farmer was very short on my part and I was happy to be on my way with no permission. I have since thought maybe it would be funny to send one of my hunting buddies down there to knock that hasnt heard this story yet.
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Re: What's the worst they could say?

Postby ohioboy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:25 am

wow. all i can say is wow.

were you dressed in a ski mask or something?
ohioboy
hunter

Postby firsttimer » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:45 am

Wow. Glad your ok. That guy has a lawsuit in the making, you can't just unleash your dogs on people even if you have signs up.
firsttimer
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:18 am

Just my standard dickies pants and a carhartt coat. Luckily the coat had enough padding I didnt get any rips in the coat or blood drawn. From what ive learned since, the guy is a washington lawyer by day, has someone else farming his land on the side. Im not one to get litigous when on someone elses land. Id like to think I have a good reputation among the farmers in that area of being respectful of land and helpful. Not someone thats going to start calling cops and lawyers on landowners. No permanent harm done thankfully
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:36 pm

Glad your okay. I guess if you knock on enough doors strange things happen. I have had a similar incident but it was only one German shepherd.

Sometimes I laugh about some of the adventures I have. Not amusing while it is happening but certainly make for good stories later.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby firsttimer » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:30 am

what is your success rate? I'm over on the eastern shore quite a bit and never went knocking on doors. Are most of the people polite? That's funny you've had PETA speaches. Did you tell them it stood for people eating tasty animals? LOL
firsttimer
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:40 am

Depends on the area im knocking in I would say. When I was in NY, a place I had never been in my life the week before thanksgiving we went with 1 hunting spot my buddy owned but it was a 1 and done shoot, and we planned on hunting for 4 days. I went up a day early to scout and knock on doors, out of 8 doors I knocked on, I only got 1 no.

In MD, around my house I would say I have a nice smile or something, because I have decent success rate. By decent, I would say I get 1 out of every 10 to give me permission. In other towns where I dont have a reputation with farmers, and theres more goose hunters, Ive all but given up. Theres one area that Ive knocked on probably 30 doors and all the farms are leased or someone else hunts them, or the farmer doesnt allow hunting. Ive heard anything on the Eastern shore is going to be leases though
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby firsttimer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:30 pm

Yeah thats what I figured on the shore. Well once again glad your ok

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
firsttimer
hunter

Postby quack*head » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:48 pm

everything on the shore is available for the right price$$$, but no not simple permission
quack*head
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting