Maryland duck hunting

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Maryland duck hunting

Postby jake_carr » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:53 pm

good morning everyone. season is over here :( its time to scout!! i was wondering if anyone has hunted newtown neck state park and st inigoes in the offshore zone that goes around the areas? i have an 18ft lowe to hunt from so i'm looking for a good public area to hunt from my boat. i live in st marys county. thanks in advance guys!
jake_carr
hunter

Re: Maryland duck hunting

Postby BeardedBeers » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:28 am

I have not personally hunted either, however, I was under the impression that Newtowne Neck was closed indef due to WWII munitions continually being found. As for St Inigoes, if you're familiar with the area, beachville boat ramp (off of beachville) has a ton of goose/duck hunting spots by reservation only. If you launch out of beachville boatramp and head into Smith Creek becareful as that first point comes out a good way (the point on your left as you head up into the creek).
Get'em close enough to feel the wind off their wings and then shoot'em in the lips!
BeardedBeers
Newb

Postby SMDGUNNER » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:11 pm

St. Inegoes used to be very productive years ago before it recieved alot of presure, since then it has drastically gone down hill. As the years go on, the land has recieved more and more presure from new hunters, and me and my buddys have since seen our sucess go down. If your a new hunter, im not trying to pick on you or scare you away. Just giving you the truth of the matter. Ive seen alot of people break the rules down their, vandalizing the property and jumpshooting roosting geese. Their used to be thousands of geese down their, this year, many of the birds got scared off, and didnt come back. Its actually really unfortunate. As for the water, it is really shallow, with lots of underwater logs n concrete blocks which can be difficult to navigate in the dark if you are not familiar with the waters.Once out on the river, the water can pick up qiuck if you dont watch the wind(that goes for anywhre really-im sure you known that), and their is often some river ducks out thier late in the season, but many stay far offshore several hundred yards and just loaf around. Lastly their is limits on shooters at blindspots and reservations and permits that need to be obtained to use the spots their. DNR has been really active down thier, and many natural resource officers live in the houses down their.
For Newtowne, i think DNR was supposed to be re-opening it this year. That land does not recive to much presure that i Know of. I have hunted it in the past, but not any time lately, so I dont have much to tell you---sorry. However it could be good if it gets reopened!

In my personal opinion its best to find land that hasnt receive much presure. Recently theirs been a ton of new hunters with the duck dynasty surge. If you do choose to go the public land route, newtowne may be your best bett. THeirs also the river side blind spots at GREenwell wich dont recieve too mmuch presure anymore, and can produce alot of birds. Another spot that might be good to try is st marys lake for geese, just take a canoe. the birds their arent too gun shy cuase their used to seeing people, which could work to your advantage.
Lastly theirs private blind spots. Many hunters down here hunt using those. I would recomend that personally. If you havent done private blind spots before, just make sure to be considerate of previous hunters spots. Often times the smae hunters will get their same spots year after year, and everyone respects eachothers spots. Many other hunters put in alot of time scouting and making sure they can recive thier same annual spots. So as long as you respect that , dont take their spots and are friendly to everyone their, you might land a spot in some of their boats on a hunt later in the season.
I hope i gave you somewhat of a idea of what the public land is like. Im not trying to scare you off, just trying to help. No sense wasting a morning on a peice of land that is overhunted. So i hope this helped Goodluck man!!!!
SMDGUNNER
hunter

Postby MdMallard » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:57 pm

SMDGUNNER,

This is the second time I've seen you post something about not taking someone's spots from last year. I completely disagree with you about this. If a hunter gets a low number and reserves a blind site through the lottery, then that guy is not entitled to that spot the next year. Maryland waterways are PUBLIC waterways. Unless you own the shoreline, then I don't think that entitles you to that spot for eternity. If I go out scouting now, how would I know if Jim Bob or Steve had a certain area that looks nice? Also, how would I know that they even want the spot the next season?

If I get a low number for the lottery and a good area that I have scouted is open I am going to take it regardless of who had it last year.
MdMallard
hunter

Postby SMDGUNNER » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:28 pm

As a matter of fact I do own shoreline. But down here many of hunters are good friends and see eachother all then time while out on the water. Most of us get the same few spots every year. All I meant was don't try and grab a spot next year because you saw someone hunting it allot the previous year. I never said don't get spots... in fact I encouraged getting them. You just need to scout a few spots and take a chance, it might be a great spot if not get a different one next season. The most ideal spot is probably on someone else's list too.
SMDGUNNER
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting