Licensing a blind sight

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Licensing a blind sight

Postby jake_carr » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:15 pm

Im so confused on the blind sight licensing and the blind sight lottery in August. I have some spots in mind that I want to license. I want a spot offshore I can hunt from my Boat, I want a stake sight. I'm trying to figure out if I need 250
Yards of unlicensed shoreline behind me? Both the spots I want are on some points sticking out. And there isn't 250 yards of straight shoreline. So do I need 250 yards of land behind me to get a spot? Thanks
jake_carr
hunter

Re: Licensing a blind sight

Postby PSUbuzz » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:33 am

"Each license issued to a nonlandowner applies to 250 yards of shoreline, with the blind site located in the middle. All blind sites must be at least 125 yards from previously licensed shoreline. Therefore, there has to be a stretch of shoreline of at least 250 yards that has not been previously licensed (to either a landowner or a resident nonlandowner) available at the time that you apply. Licenses expire on June 30, in the year after the license was issued"

When you go to the court house on the 2nd Tuesday in August, the DNR guy will have maps and a stencil kit that are scaled so his little stencil circle is scaled to 250 yds on the map. If your circle overlaps someone elses circle, or your circle doesnt cover enough unlicensed shoreline, you cant license it. Or you can license it, pay your money, and then show up and find out youve licensed a site too close to a house on shore and youve wasted your time and money licensing a unhuntable stake(happens all the time, and NRP will fine you the first time they come out and range finder you from the complaining residence, even when you sit there with the map in hand. The license maps do not show houses, you need to bring your own device with aerial maps that show houses). Licensing a "point" is common practice, and "points" usually go quick since guys want to be out in the water and get noticed by birds. But someone can booger up a point by licensing a cove on one side or another to use that point as a wind block, but it also blocks someone else from hunting that point. Its a chess game on maps in the courthouse of blocking other hunters from your area so you have more shoreline that hasnt been hunted. Im still learning this chess game they call blind licensing.
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby zeeman » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:46 pm

Blind sites are a game of scouting and finding more then one location because you are not the only one thinking this way I usually scout now to see where the ducks want to be and to see if there is enough space for a legal blind also you can check whats taken by land owners on the DNR page for hunting divers there's plenty space but for puddle ducks space is very limited.Good Luck Anyway!!!
2014-2015
5 woodys
1rudy
15 gadwall
39mallards
1 wigeon
zeeman
hunter

Postby SMDGUNNER » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:06 pm

Scout your spots good before picking them. make shore you will be able to set up the decoys, and be able to stand. One day you will be able to stand but at high tide you may not. Try NOT to take spots that you saw guys hunting either... just common courtesy. They put allot of work in to scout, had a couple good hunts their and then a lazy guy comes in and snatches it next year. And have some alternatives going in, everyone has been eyeing the spots that birds sit at all season.
SMDGUNNER
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting