Court Case

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Court Case

Postby spider316 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:09 pm

Any word on how Sean Mann made out on his allegations in court on the 13th?
Most experienced novice Duckhunter the good Lord ever created !
spider316
hunter

Re: Court Case

Postby BeardedBeers » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:11 pm

Not sure if this was recent or not, but last I heard he was ticketed back in 2012. Not sure the outcome of that, but did he get ticketed again in the 13-14 season (this year)?
Get'em close enough to feel the wind off their wings and then shoot'em in the lips!
BeardedBeers
Newb

Postby cchiodo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:44 pm

I spoke with Sean Mann at the Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg. He was having great success consistently for a long time. The DNR officer accused him of baiting because the field was scattered with corn cobs. His response was, no crap the field is planted in corn, that doesn't make it baiting. DNR still gives him the ticket...
cchiodo
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:26 pm

cchiodo wrote:I spoke with Sean Mann at the Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg. He was having great success consistently for a long time. The DNR officer accused him of baiting because the field was scattered with corn cobs. His response was, no crap the field is planted in corn, that doesn't make it baiting. DNR still gives him the ticket...

Did you think he would say "hell yea we were baiting"? of course not. I honestly don't believe the field was baited be ause they were approached by dnr in the field @10:30 am and their party only had one goose.. doesn't sound to me like a baited field to me
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:27 am

Case got postponed due to weather(snow). Not sure of reschedule date. Not too worried about it either. Sounded like a bunch of BS from what Ive heard but im not a judge.

Now on a unrelated note, there are some idiots that I have heard have taken a walk behind spreader and filled it with shelled corn and walked around at night spreading a harvested corn field from september with more corn. They think they wont get caught because their defense is "theres corn in a corn field, what do you mean im hunting over bait!" I think they got their desired effect because they get every goose for 10 miles in their field packed tight in a perfect pattern of a spreader. Its very noticable to an officer that has checked a harvested field when there is a bunch of fresh nice yellow corn in a field that has been harvested for 6 months. None of your neighboring hunters appreciates someone ruining an entire area by sucking all the birds in for the whole late season so nobody can hunt them.
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby papageno » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:46 pm

I know Im gonna hear it but..... Baiting is ridiculously common on the ES. modern pickers leave almost nothing behind, so if theres any corn spread on or off the cob in the field........
papageno
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:21 pm

papageno wrote:I know Im gonna hear it but..... Baiting is ridiculously common on the ES. modern pickers leave almost nothing behind, so if theres any corn spread on or off the cob in the field........

serious question: corn chips count.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:50 pm

papageno wrote:I know Im gonna hear it but..... Baiting is ridiculously common on the ES. modern pickers leave almost nothing behind, so if theres any corn spread on or off the cob in the field........

Not entirely true most new equipment does but not many guys are running new equipment. I was in a field a few yrs ago and couldn't beleive the amount of corn left behind and it was left behind a few yr old piece of equipment. As far as baiting a lot of guys broadcast corn on the shore.
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby papageno » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:10 am

[/quote]
serious question: corn chips count.[/quote]

Many people also develop mashes of grains and other feeds (even dog food) that are virtually undetectable…. if that's what you're asking. Geese are omnivores and will eat almost anything. Just because corn is their favorite waste grain, doesn't mean it's their favorite food. Not getting caught is the mother of invention on the ES.
papageno
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:59 am

so thattttssss how all those flat landers shoot geese out of those sore thumb blinds in the middle of fields :lol3:
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:05 am

papageno wrote:

serious question: corn chips count.[/quote]

Many people also develop mashes of grains and other feeds (even dog food) that are virtually undetectable…. if that's what you're asking. Geese are omnivores and will eat almost anything. Just because corn is their favorite waste grain, doesn't mean it's their favorite food. Not getting caught is the mother of invention on the ES.[/quote]
but is it baiting?
ohioboy
hunter

Postby papageno » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:51 pm

How they interpret baiting laws is more of an art than a science.

If you throw food out to attract geese - it's definitely baiting.

If a farmer is leasing his field to a guide, he may intentionally harvest it a bit on the sloppy side… baiting?

It's not even that you have to bait to shoot geese - part of the local sport is to do it and not get caught. A country version of a rush.
papageno
hunter

Postby Ruination » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:25 pm

PSUbuzz wrote:so thattttssss how all those flat landers shoot geese out of those sore thumb blinds in the middle of fields :lol3:

Or you just give them (the geese) a little to much credit.
Ruination
hunter

Postby Gandergetter » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:22 am

This year our leased farm was all in corn 600ac TA county. I could not believe how much corn was on the ground, no one could. We are not guides so the farmer had old equipement I guess. I really thought if DNR came by we would be cited for baiting. Whole cobs and kernals just everywhere. Once the snows got in the filed the corn was gone in 2 weeks. One day we shot the same flock of snows (5,000) 3 times.
Gandergetter
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting